Did you mean: 
sofiene
Contributor
Contributor

Urgent ! Hardware co-simulation (Simulink/Xilinx) on ML505 board

Jump to solution

Hello everybody,

I’m new in Xilinx forums and Xilinx working

In fact, my goal is to try a hardware co-simulation (Simulink/Xilinx) on my ML505 (Xilinx XUPV5-LX110T) board, and I’m still in the step of board-PC wiring, I still try to communicate them through an Ethernet cable, so I’m in the initial step,

I did all the indicated steps in the System Generator for DSP User Guide v12.4 (I followed the same steps as Installing an ML506 Board for Ethernet Hardware Co-Simulation):

-          I configured my IP address on 192.168.8.2

-          I formatted the flash card with FAT16 and I unzipped the ML506_sysace_cf.zip file inside the card: so in the flash card we find : cfg.dat, ip.dat, mac.dat, xilinx.sys and a folder named “hwcosim”, in this folder we find too sub-folders named “dut” and “boot4” that contains respectively dut.ace and boot4.ace

-          I set the Configuration Address DIP Switches as follows:  1:on, 2:off, 3:off, 4:on, 5:off, 6:on, 7:off, 8:on

-          I set the Ethernet Mode Select jumpers as shown in the attached picture (the default position of jumpers) which is the same picture at the page 293 of  System Generator for DSP User Guide v12.4

-          I installed the Ethernet RJ45 male/male straight cable.

Normally, if all is well done, the MAC and IP addresses of the board will be displayed on the LCD displayer. But I have nothing and even when I pressed the System ACE™ Reset button to reconfigure the FPGA. And worse, the Error LED in the board glows red, what means really I have an error in my configuration process.

I’m totally blocked, please if someone has any idea to correct.

Thank you in advance,

Best regards,

Sofiene

jumpers.PNG
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ywu
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee
The XUPV5-LX110T board has a xc5vlx110tff1136-1 device on it, otherwise it's identical to ML505. Below is the link to the board where you can find more information about the board.
http://www.xilinx.com/products/boards-and-kits/XUPV5-LX110T.htm
HWCOSIM needs a clock from the board, this is why you need to set up the pin location and frequency for the system clock input. You can use the "USER_CLK" input on the board. I will leave it to you to find out the location and frequency in the documentation.
For JTAG HWCOSIM, no special configuration is required.
Yes, you will need a JTAG download cable connecting the board to your PC.

@sofiene wrote:

Hello

Thank you very much for responding,

Just I want to ask you some questions:

My board is XUPV5-LX110T, so how can I choose the appropriate:

- speed grade ?

- package ?

- pin location ? And what does mean this parameter in the case of HWCOSIM ? i.e. pin of what exactly ?

- system clock ?

Is there a special configuration necessary of  "Configuration DIP SW" and/or jumpers ?

The board must be connected by the JTAG programming cable or JTAG configuration cable ?

Thank you in advance,

Sofiene

Cheers,
Jim

View solution in original post

8 Replies
sofiene
Contributor
Contributor

Please it's very urgent, if anyone has a comment !

0 Kudos
eteam00
Professor
Professor

It's 4AM on the USA west coast.  Not a lot of people online right now.

Hey, cross-posting 3 duplicate threads in 3 different forums is considered rude, and is unnecessary.  Duplicate threads will not improve your chances of a quick response.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
sofiene
Contributor
Contributor

Hello

Sorry, but I just thought that maybe the thread is not in the right place. I know that it can’t improve my chances of a quick response.

Thanks to be more fluent.

---Sofiene

0 Kudos
sofiene
Contributor
Contributor

Hello

Please if anyone has an experience with ML505 and exactly XUPV5-LX110T board, tell me about the easier Board/PC way of connection (JTAG or Ethernet) for a successful HW co-sim.

Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
ywu
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

The HWCOSIM plugin is board specific. You can't use the ML506 Point to Point Ethernet plugin for your ML505 board. It's very easy to create a JTAG HWCOSIM for any board. Please check the link below for step-by-step instructions. You can ignore the NMM part if you don't need them.

http://myfpgablog.blogspot.com/2009/12/sysgen-create-new-hwcosim-target-with.html

@sofiene wrote:

Hello everybody,

I’m new in Xilinx forums and Xilinx working

In fact, my goal is to try a hardware co-simulation (Simulink/Xilinx) on my ML505 (Xilinx XUPV5-LX110T) board, and I’m still in the step of board-PC wiring, I still try to communicate them through an Ethernet cable, so I’m in the initial step,

I did all the indicated steps in the System Generator for DSP User Guide v12.4 (I followed the same steps as Installing an ML506 Board for Ethernet Hardware Co-Simulation):

-          I configured my IP address on 192.168.8.2

-          I formatted the flash card with FAT16 and I unzipped the ML506_sysace_cf.zip file inside the card: so in the flash card we find : cfg.dat, ip.dat, mac.dat, xilinx.sys and a folder named “hwcosim”, in this folder we find too sub-folders named “dut” and “boot4” that contains respectively dut.ace and boot4.ace

-          I set the Configuration Address DIP Switches as follows:  1:on, 2:off, 3:off, 4:on, 5:off, 6:on, 7:off, 8:on

-          I set the Ethernet Mode Select jumpers as shown in the attached picture (the default position of jumpers) which is the same picture at the page 293 of  System Generator for DSP User Guide v12.4

-          I installed the Ethernet RJ45 male/male straight cable.

Normally, if all is well done, the MAC and IP addresses of the board will be displayed on the LCD displayer. But I have nothing and even when I pressed the System ACE™ Reset button to reconfigure the FPGA. And worse, the Error LED in the board glows red, what means really I have an error in my configuration process.

I’m totally blocked, please if someone has any idea to correct.

Thank you in advance,

Best regards,

Sofiene

Cheers,
Jim
0 Kudos
sofiene
Contributor
Contributor

Hello

- speed grade ?

- package ?

- pin location ? And what does mean this parameter in the case of HWCOSIM ? i.e. pin of what exactly ?

- system clock ?

Is there a special configuration necessary of  "Configuration DIP SW" and/or jumpers ?

The board must be connected by the JTAG programming cable or JTAG configuration cable ?

Thank you in advance,

Sofiene

0 Kudos
ywu
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee
The XUPV5-LX110T board has a xc5vlx110tff1136-1 device on it, otherwise it's identical to ML505. Below is the link to the board where you can find more information about the board.
http://www.xilinx.com/products/boards-and-kits/XUPV5-LX110T.htm
HWCOSIM needs a clock from the board, this is why you need to set up the pin location and frequency for the system clock input. You can use the "USER_CLK" input on the board. I will leave it to you to find out the location and frequency in the documentation.
For JTAG HWCOSIM, no special configuration is required.
Yes, you will need a JTAG download cable connecting the board to your PC.

@sofiene wrote:

Hello

- speed grade ?

- package ?

- system clock ?

Thank you in advance,

Sofiene

Cheers,
Jim

View solution in original post

sofiene
Contributor
Contributor

Hello

Thank you so much, it was very helpful

Sofiene

0 Kudos