UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer alexdetrano
Observer

Using RAM Blocks to manipulate data

Jump to solution

Hello,

I'm not sure if I'm going about this in the  right way, but I'll give it a shot.  I have a sequence of 100 numbers (1:100) and I want to grab the first 10, then the third ten, then the fifth ten, so that my data will be (1:10)(30:40) (60:70), etc.  How can I do this?  I think a RAM block might come in handy here; I write the whole sequence to the RAM block, so that the first 100 memory locations would be my whole data, then use a counter of some sort to read out memory address 1:10, then address 30:40, etc.  Am I thinking about this properly?  I looked at the single port RAM block and the hlep file didn't really help...perhaps a dual port RAM block is necesssary?  These RAM blocks are a little overwhlemeing, any help from some xilinx gurus out there would be much appreciated.  Thanks!

Alexander

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Visitor gotcha25
Visitor

Re: Using RAM Blocks to manipulate data

Jump to solution
Thanks for your help erochasousa, i solved my problem using a dual port ram  with a diffrente rate for write  and read.. And what happen if i can reverse this operation. The input now  has 40 bytes and i want in the output 52 bytes??the additional 12 bytes could be any value, for example 00...With this operation the rate for the output must be the same when i have the initial 52 bytes

View solution in original post

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
14 Replies
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

Hello,

I think you can do this using a single-port block ram initialized with the values 1:100 and then you can simply write a state machine which access the addresses you want to get the corresponding data. The state machine can be written either using the Mcode block (The state m/c is written in Matlab) or the Sysgen Black Box (The state m/c to be written in verilog or vhdl.

Regards,

Walid F. 

Highlighted
Visitor gotcha25
Visitor

Jump to solution

hello, i am doing  something like that. I have to receive  continue data  and work for block. In this case i receive a block  of 52 bytes and  i have to eliminate the last 12 bytes. I am using 2 single port RAM but the resuts are not successful. The output data must be continuo. (Receive 52 bytes and the output have 40 bytes and next to the last byte i have the first byte of the 2nd block ).

thanks...

0 Kudos
Visitor erochasousa
Visitor

Jump to solution

You can put a counter counting from 0 to 29 and glue it into a ROM storing pointers. The ROM is connected directly to the Memory address input.

The pointers can be [1:10  30:40 60:70]-1

Whenever I need to rearrange the format of a serial data input, for example after a FFT, I need to make something like "fftshift" from Matlab, I use this ROM-storing-pointers strategy.

You can use a dual-port RAM if the input data is coming continuosly all the time...

You can also use a FIFO. Just work the write signal. Keep 'we' high when the inputs 1:10 , 30:40 and 60:70 are coming. Then just read at the output. If you want continuous data like gotcha25, your read signal should have a lower rate then we signal.

For a 100-sample input data, you are outputting 30 samples. So the normalized sample rates '10' (for read signal) and '3' (for we signal). 

Hope this helps 

Message Edited by erochasousa on 10-14-2009 07:45 AM
Message Edited by erochasousa on 10-14-2009 08:13 AM
Visitor gotcha25
Visitor

Jump to solution
Thanks for your help erochasousa, i solved my problem using a dual port ram  with a diffrente rate for write  and read.. And what happen if i can reverse this operation. The input now  has 40 bytes and i want in the output 52 bytes??the additional 12 bytes could be any value, for example 00...With this operation the rate for the output must be the same when i have the initial 52 bytes

View solution in original post

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Participant evgenia89
Participant

Jump to solution

Hello,

I am trying to do the similar things. I use FIFO and I need to read 100 samples to this and then to calculate average value. The problem is how to calculate this average, because the function mean(x) works with arrays and I don't know how to convert my input digital signal to array.

Thank you for any help!

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Hello, Evgenia.

It's better to start new thread.

Do you want to calculate average value using blocks of the System Generator for further netlist generation? Or to find average value using standard Matlab function (mean(x))?

Best Regards,
Vitaly.
0 Kudos
Participant evgenia89
Participant

Jump to solution

Vitaly,

I think it's better to use System Generator blocks, but the using of mean(x) is also possible because of block MCode where I can write the code.

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Evgenia,

'MCode' block supports only restricted subset of Matlab language as you can see on page 224 of System Generator Reference Guide:

http://www.xilinx.com/support/sw_manuals/sysgen_ref.pdf

But there is an 'Accumulator' block which can be used to solve your problem.

Averaging is basically accumulation:

mean(X) = (X_1 + X_2 + ... + X_N) / N,

accumulated_sum(X) = X_1 + X_2 + ... + X_N.

Accumulator expects single samples at its input (not array).

Just make sure to chose proper bitwidth of accumulator in order to prevent overflow.

Best Regards,
Vitaly.
0 Kudos
Participant evgenia89
Participant

Jump to solution

Thank you, Vitaly, it really can help in solving the problem.

But the thing is that I need to put into a memory any amount of points (let's say 1000), and then to calculate average of all these point. It should be one number but it seems that the block 'Accumulator' works for every point independently:

accumulator.jpg

1st line - input signal;

2nd line - counter;

3d line - output of accumulator.

Or maybe I don't understand anything.

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Evgenia, but what is the purpose of storing the samples in memory? If you only need to find the average value, then there is no need for additional memory buffer. Just use accumulator and get the answer.

@evgenia89 wrote:

But the thing is that I need to put into a memory any amount of points (let's say 1000), and then to calculate average of all these point. It should be one number but it seems that the block 'Accumulator' works for every point independently

Accumulator works on every clock cycle. You can add enable port (in parameters of Accumulator block).

When Enable is true, then Accumulator adds current input sample to internal register:

internal_register = internal_register + input,

output = internal_register.

When Enable is false, then Accumulator just outputs value of internal register:

When Reset is true, then Accumulator resets internal register:

internal_register = 0.

So with the help of Enable and Reset signals you can calculate the sum of input samples (and hence, the average value).

This approach will work even if you will need to find average value of long sequence (because there is no need for additional memory storage).

Best Regards,
Vitaly.
0 Kudos
Participant evgenia89
Participant

Jump to solution

If I don't store the samles in the memory the accumulator calculates sum at every sample as shown in the figure to my previous post. Actually the output is also a bit strange - sum is from -1 to 1 in different moments.

The 'Enable' port doesn't really help - the picture is the same when I use it.

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution
Hi, Evgenia.

@evgenia89 wrote:

If I don't store the samles in the memory the accumulator calculates sum at every sample as shown in the figure to my previous post.

Sure. Every block in System Generator (and in FPGA, generally) always has some output value. It's a hardware. So there is always some kind of signal at any port.

Lets consider that you have following input sequence:

x_1, x_2, ..., x_N.

You would like to calculate sum (or average value) of input samples.

So lets consider Accumulator block. At any clock cycle accumulator do following (if enable = true):

internal_register = internal_register + input,

At moment t=0:

internal_register = 0,

acc_output = 0.

At moment t = 1:

input = x_1,

internal_register = internal_register + input = x_1,

acc_output = internal_register = x_1.

At moment t = 2:

input = x_2,

internal_register = internal_register + input = x_1 + x_2, 

acc_output = internal_register = x_1 + x2.

At moment t = N:

input = x_N,

internal_register = internal_register + input = x_1 + x_2 + ... + x_N, 

acc_output = internal_register = x_1 + x_2 + ... + x_N.

evgenia89 wrote:

The 'Enable' port doesn't really help - the picture is the same when I use it.

If Enable is false, then Accumulator just skips current input sample (i.e., acuumulator doesn't add it to internal register).

@evgenia89 wrote:

Actually the output is also a bit strange - sum is from -1 to 1 in different moments.

That's another story. I assume that your samples are integer or fixed-point fractional numbers. Right?

System Generator has different options to represent fixed-point numbers.

There are 'UFix_N_M' and 'Fix_N_M' formats.

N - bitwidth of number,

M - bitwidth of fractional part (i.e., position of binary point).

'Fix' means signed fractional. And 'UFix' is unsigned fractional number.

So if output of accumulator has type, for example, 'Fix_16_15', then you will get only numbers in range [-1, 1).

What is the type of your samples?

Best Regards,
Vitaly.
Participant evgenia89
Participant

Jump to solution

Hello, Vitaly,

thank you very much for your response. I changed the type of accumulator output and now it works correctly.

But my previous problem is still not solved. I believe that I need memory anyway because my task is to calculate avearge of e.g. 1024 samples, then - the next 1024 samples, and so on and in the end the average of all these stored data should be written to a file.

I am wondering if it is possible to do with System Generator or I should use memory interface generator.

Evgenia.

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Hello, Evgenia.

Average is just scaled sum, right?

So if your task is to calculate an average value of 1024 samples, then find the sum and discard log2(1024)=10 least significant bits.

If you need to calculate average values of different frames of data, then just reset Accumulator between these frames. Simple control logic (for example, finite state machine) can do that.

So if your goal is to find average value of input samples, then you don't need additional memory storage (and memory interface generator as well).

Best Regards,
Vitaly.
0 Kudos