Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
selune
Visitor
Visitor

Viterbi Decoder IP architecture

Jump to solution

Hello guys,

I was wondering what is the difference between Viterbi decoder serial and parallel architecture? Can I get faster decoding speeds if I use the parallel one? And if so, how can I know the speeds in question? Thank you in advance.

Kind regards.

selune

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
balkris
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Parallel architecture give you high data throughput and serial arch used for smaller area footprint.  The decoder core consists of two basic architectures: a fully parallel implementation which gives fast data throughput at the expense of silicon area and a serial implementation which occupies a small area but requires a fixed number of clock cycles per decoded result. 

serial implementation requires a fixed number of clock cycles per decoded result.

You can compare the resources here 

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/ip_documentation/ru/viterbi.html

Thanks and Regards
Balkrishan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post in case it guided to the solution.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
balkris
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Parallel architecture give you high data throughput and serial arch used for smaller area footprint.  The decoder core consists of two basic architectures: a fully parallel implementation which gives fast data throughput at the expense of silicon area and a serial implementation which occupies a small area but requires a fixed number of clock cycles per decoded result. 

serial implementation requires a fixed number of clock cycles per decoded result.

You can compare the resources here 

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/ip_documentation/ru/viterbi.html

Thanks and Regards
Balkrishan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post in case it guided to the solution.

View solution in original post

mhilley
Observer
Observer

Does the Viterbi Decoder v9.1, when placed in Parallel Mode, still process only 1 input bit at a time.  Like when it is in serial mode.

0 Kudos