UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor
Contributor

Vivado 2018.2 on Ubuntu 17.10 - "awk: symbol lookup error: awk: undefined symbol: mpfr_z_sub" error is back again

Starting a new thread separate from this one.

First off - YES, I know Ubuntu 17.10 is not a supported version.  Unfortunately, 16.04.1 LTS didn't contain the HW RAID drivers needed to even install the OS, so we opted to install 17.10 with the intention of upgrading to 18.04.1 LTS as soon as its released.

I installed Vivado System Edition 2018.2 *before* I installed Matlab so I canceled the popup asking for the Matlab installation.  Now, when I run SysGen, I receive the infamous awk error, but with the following internal error:

$ sysgen
awk: symbol lookup error: awk: undefined symbol: mpfr_z_sub

Internal error 2: Could not determine the path of the
                  MATLAB root directory.

original command path = /opt/MATLAB/2018a/bin/matlab
                  current  command path = /opt/MATLAB/2018a/bin/matlab

Please contact:

MathWorks Technical Support

for further assistance.

When installing Matlab, I selected to create symlinks, so the original error contained the path to the symlink.  During my debug process I added the Matlab directory to my PATH.  

Matlab runs fine.

The other issues previously reported having to do with 'awk' being used in the ../bin/loader, ../bin/sysgen, etc. scripts don't apply because it appears that 'awk' is no longer used in any of those scripts.

The error appears to be generated by the /opt/MATLAB/2018a/bin/matlab script:

#
# Need the function pwd - not the built in one
#
    newdir=`/bin/pwd`
#
    newbase=`expr //$filename : '.*/\(.*\)' \| $filename`
        lscmd=`ls -l $newbase 2>/dev/null`
    if [ ! "$lscmd" ]; then
#++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    echo ''
    echo 'Internal error 2: Could not determine the path of the'
    echo '                  MATLAB root directory.'
    echo ''
    echo "                  original command path = $filename"
    echo "                  current  command path = $filename"
    echo ''
    echo '                  Please contact:'
    echo ''
    echo '                      MathWorks Technical Support'
    echo ''
    echo '                  for further assistance.'
    echo ''
#++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
        exit 1
    fi

...which also happens to run 'awk'.

I'm wondering if this error is occurring due to the awk command failing and not producing the appropriate intermediate results, or if it's a problem with the fact that the Xilinx installation isn't set up properly because I didn't identify the Matlab installation directory at installation time.

Any thoughts?

DornerWorks
https://goo.gl/LNexn5

Xilinx Alliance Program - Premier Tier
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Vivado 2018.2 on Ubuntu 17.10 - "awk: symbol lookup error: awk: undefined symbol: mpfr_z_sub" error is back again

Update.

I reinstalled hoping to get the System Generator Matlab Configurator popup.  No dice.  It never appeared this time.  

I received the same error, which is generated by the Matlab script, so I removed the Matlab path from my PATH env variable and tried running again.

New error this time, generated by the ../bin/sysgen script:

if [ "$RDI_CHECK_PROG" = True ]; then
  RDI_PROG_EXISTS=True
  type $RDI_PROG >/dev/null 2>&1 || RDI_PROG_EXISTS=False
  if [ "$RDI_PROG_EXISTS" = False ]; then
    if [ "$RDI_PLATFORM" = "lnx64"  ]; then
      echo "ERROR: Could not find matlab 64-bit executable in the path. Please add the path to a matlab 64 bit executable to the PATH environment variable and try launching System Generator for DSP again."
    else
      echo "ERROR: Could not find matlab 32-bit executable in the path. Please add the path to a matlab 32-bit executable to the PATH environment variable and try launching System Generator for DSP again."
    fi
    echo "ERROR: $RDI_PROG does not exist"
    exit 1
  fi
fi

Is there a way to manually run the System Generator Matlab Configurator from the command line?  I obviously can't do it the traditional way from within SysGen since I can't launch the tool.  

DornerWorks
https://goo.gl/LNexn5

Xilinx Alliance Program - Premier Tier
0 Kudos

Re: Vivado 2018.2 on Ubuntu 17.10 - "awk: symbol lookup error: awk: undefined symbol: mpfr_z_sub" error is back again

Any information on this in the meantime? I need exactly this to work, too. I have Fedora 28, Vivado 2019.1 and Matlab R2019a. I also tried Matlab R2018a, Vivado 2019.1.1, 2019.1.2, 2018.3 and 2017.2). Every time it’s the same problem.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,

We can not use matlab R2018a in vivado 2018.2 as it is not supported, and also ubuntu version which you are using is also not supported. When we use unsupported versions of OS and Matlab versions, we will end up seeing weired behavior like some time everything works some times it's not. Please look at the release notes and try to use the supported OS and Matlab.

Regards,

Raju A.

0 Kudos

As far as I have read, Matlab R2019a is supported in Vivado 2019.1 and Matlab R2018a is supported in Vivado 2018.3. Furthermore for my case of Fedora, I see the startup scripts explicitly handling Fedora. So for me it seems that there is just a missing or falsly configured environment variable.

After all, are there plans for creating a Flatpak for Vivado (see flatpak.org)? This should help you a lot, as Vivado would then work exactly the same for all Linux users, no matter which distribution they run. Furthermore, everything should be easily reproducible for you, as the environment would be exactly the same for everyone. Otherwise it’s hard for us end users because we cannot have five machines with five different operating systems standing on our table, depending on which OS is supported by our company and which OS’s are supported by the different programs we use. It’s already supported in RHEL/CentOS 8, and Flatpak will also be the future packaging standard in the next version of these operating systems by the way.

0 Kudos