UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Newbie hau

Xilinx FFT Block In/Out Sync problem

Hello,

when I test the implementation offline in Simulink, the "Start Frame Out" port is only triggered if I previosly trigger the "Start Frame In" port and after finishing the FFT calculation.

Unfortunately the "Start Frame Out" port is triggered continuously when the implementation runs in the hardware (Kintex 7), even if the "Start Frame In" port is not triggered.

Any suggestions why this might happen?

[SG 17.2, Xilinx Library Blockset]

Thank you

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Xilinx FFT Block In/Out Sync problem

This event signal is asserted for a single clock cycle when the block starts to process a new frame. This signal is provided to allow you to count frames and to synchronize the configuration of the core to a particular frame if required though the input frame is same but you are feeding it multiple times keeping start_frame_in enable. This is expected behavior of the block.

Hope it helps, please refer PG109 IP doc for more info.

0 Kudos
Newbie hau

Hello,

thank you for answering but I still got some questions:

"This event signal is asserted for a single clock cycle when the block starts to process a new frame. " --> Isnt start_frame_out set high for a clock cycle when the block finishes processing the frame? Doesnt the block process a new frame only if start_frame_in is set high for a clock cycle?

"This signal is provided to allow you to count frames and to synchronize the configuration of the core to a particular frame" --> How can I synchronize an output frame to a particular input frame if even if I dont set start_frame_in high, I still get start_frame_out flags?

"This is expected behavior of the block." --> I would expect to get a start_frame_out flag only if I previously set start_frame_in high, this is the behaviour I see testing it offline.

Thank you

0 Kudos
Newbie hau

Hello,

any more details you could share to my questions?

Thank you

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hello,

Thanks for writing us.

#1: Start_frame_out is a status signal which tells us how many frames have been processed i.e frame count

#2: The Block provides the output data frames in the same order that the input frames are fed. If you have one input frame, giving it to the block for multiple simulation cycles still you will see multiple Start_frame_out pulses which are equal to the number of cycles that the input frame is getting fed to the block

#3: The block is intelligent enough to descreminate the input frames and process them, user does not need to make start_frame_in high for every frame. Just assert start_frame_in once and start feeding the data 

Hope this helps.

Could you send me the design so that I will be able give you more info on this if any queries

Thanks

Newbie hau

Thank you for answering.

So if I only want to process specific data slot from a continuous stream, I will not be able to differentiate the outputs and correlate to my input slot because the FFT block is processing the whole time and there is no guarantee that the next output correlates to my desired input.

Is my understanding correct?

Is it possible to turn on and off the processing/FFT block?

Thank you again.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

If you want to process only one input frame, please set your simulation time to the same and see the results as you expected. But you want to run simulation continuosly for one input frame, the output is always the same as we discussed previously.

FFT block output is always guaranteed and must correlate to the input

0 Kudos