Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mmyhui
Contributor
Contributor

how to migrate workspace from vitis 2020.1 to vitis 2020.2

Jump to solution

I heard from others that if I just run vitis 2020.2 after I properly sourced all the setup files updated for 2020.2, in the same directory as I ran vitis 2020.1, then it should bring up a dialog box asking whether I want to have it automatically migrate to 2020.2 for me.

I don't see that dialog box, and vitis 2020.2 is not recognizing what I did there before using 2020.1. Thus do I have to re-enter all the search paths and parameters again into 2020.2, or are there specific files vitis 2020.2 is looking for that will trigger the auto migration dialog box? (and for some reason it's not finding those files when I run it)

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
torid
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

The IDE is looking at the <workspace>/.metadata/version.ini. As long as the com.xilinx.tools.version=2020.1.0, you should see the prompt. There is "Don't show this again" button in the dialog. Any chance you checked that before?

You can also export the project from 2020.1 and import it into a new workspace in 2020.2 as a workaround. 

View solution in original post

6 Replies
torid
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

The IDE is looking at the <workspace>/.metadata/version.ini. As long as the com.xilinx.tools.version=2020.1.0, you should see the prompt. There is "Don't show this again" button in the dialog. Any chance you checked that before?

You can also export the project from 2020.1 and import it into a new workspace in 2020.2 as a workaround. 

View solution in original post

mmyhui
Contributor
Contributor

OK, that part works, but now I need to find the workspace files that define the paths, so that I can have Vitis convert the correct workspace. Which files does it store the many paths used in the workspace? I need to find those files, and then tell Vitis to open the dir that those files reside in and also has the requisite version.ini that you mentioned.

I finally found the correct workspace, so all the paths were recovered by vitis 2020.2 from their most recent run in 2020.1.

0 Kudos
torid
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

I'm not sure what paths you're referring to. Can you expand?

0 Kudos
mmyhui
Contributor
Contributor

Do the right-mouse-button in the Explorer window, on the folder with the suffix [aiengine].

That brings up a contextual menu, so select Properties, then C/C++ General, then Paths and Symbols, then Includes, and that's where the paths are.

So which file stores those paths?

0 Kudos
torid
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Looks like it's in the .cproject in the aie project directory. We don't test modifying these outside of the IDE, so your mileage may vary. 

torid_0-1616623019173.png

0 Kudos
mmyhui
Contributor
Contributor

OK, that's good to know. I only delve into those files if I find that my search paths aren't working. In that case, I need to know what Vitis is really using which might be different from what it is showing on the GUI.

0 Kudos