UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

migrating project from Plan Ahead to Vivado

I have a very old H/W project (~2012) that was done using Plan Ahead.  It was a project using the Zynq 7000 and based heavily on the zynq-702 dev platform.  It exported a system.xml file for the SDK.

I want to migrate/convert the H/W project into a Vivado project so I can (re)export the H/W files as .HDF.  Then, generate a a new BSP and get the S/W application code built and running in this codeflow.

I was hoping to just find a utility to convert an xml to hdf, but it doesn't seem to exist.  So I'm taking this other route.

Questions...

- is there a document/video/tutorial that shows how to take a project created in Plan Ahead and get this into Vivado?  I can read in the project into Vivado, but it doesn't build anything and reports lots of errors.  And I don't see any block diagram of the PS7 sub-system.  Seems it was done all with verilog files (could it be in a file called xil_defaultlib.system)?  Does that make sense?

- maybe what I need to do is create a new Vivado project with the PS7 subsystem replicated using the block diagram? Then add the vhd files?

- is there a service whereby we can provide all the old H/W files and Xilinx (or other vendor) can migrate into Vivado 2018 or 2019?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: migrating project from Plan Ahead to Vivado

Hello james.hansen@teaminc.com 

I have provided a link to UG911, which will help you through how to convert your ISE project to Vivado. I have also provided a forum post similar to yours, which might be of use.  

UG911: https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2017_2/ug911-vivado-migration.pdf

Forum: https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Welcome-Join/Migrating-from-ISE-to-Vivado/td-p/636956

I hope this helps! 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

The link to the similar issue isn't much help, it just references the same ug911 PDF.  But let me spend some time reviewing the PDF and I will respond again.  thank-you.

0 Kudos

The ug911 PDF is somewhat helpful.  I can open the .ppr file and create a new vivado project.  I can see a UCF file that needs to be converted.  But as a first step want to create a block diagram of the PS7 that is on the Zynq xc7z020clg400 part.  What currently exists is a file named system_stub.vhd.  The Vivado project doesn't like this file:

[DRC INBB-3] Black Box Instances: Cell 'system_i' of type 'system' has undefined contents and is considered a black box. The contents of this cell must be defined for opt_design to complete successfully.

So I *think* what I need to do is convert this to a Block Design.  Is there some guidlines for doing this?  I think I will remove the system_stub.vhd file and instead have a design_1.bd file that contains all the info of the system_stub.vhd file.  Is there specific information about how to do this?  Or can you provide?

0 Kudos