Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
natheesan
Participant
Participant

Couldn't import torch

Hi, @jasonwu 

When I try to import torch in the vitis-ai-pytorch environment, I am getting an "Illegal instruction (core dumped)" error message.

torch.png

How to fix this error?

Thank you.

Natheesan

0 Kudos
12 Replies
jasonwu

Hi @natheesan ,

It seems that "vitis-ai-pytorch" environment can only be used on a GPU docker kernel.

I am afraid that my GPU machine is occupied for long time training I would try to borrow a GPU card and have a try on my side.

Best Regards,
Jason
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if the information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
natheesan
Participant
Participant

Hi @jasonwu ,

Thanks for the response.
I have used PyTorch (1.4.0) using the conda environment and have not faced any issues like this ("Illegal instruction (core dumped)") on my PC.

I am only facing this issue in your Vitis-AI-PyTorch environment.

Do you know anyone else could respond to this issue quickly as it is currently required?

Thanks
Natheesan

0 Kudos
jasonwu

Hi @natheesan ,

You may contact Xilinx FAE to check if they have bandwith for quick support.

I am afraid that as I know several of my colleagues are on long vacation that may be the reason that we can't give quick response.

Best Regards,
Jason
Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if the information provided is helpful.

0 Kudos
philreiter
Visitor
Visitor

Thank you for this info, @jasonwu . A separate forum thread is also exploring the "illegal instruction" error arising in the vai-q-pytorch environment running on the provided Docker container: https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/AI-and-Vitis-AI/Pytorch-Illegal-instruction-core-dumped/td-p/1134124

@natheesan, please keep us looped in as your feedback from Xilinx FAE, as an expedient solution would be required on my end, as well. Thanks!

jasonwu

Hi @natheesan , @philreiter ,

I just finish the test for importing torch in my side, it can work expect installing Nvidia-440 driver destory my desktop display.

Please check the test log below:

wuxian@wuxian-ubuntu1804-sw:/workspace$ conda activate vitis-ai-pytorch
(vitis-ai-pytorch) wuxian@wuxian-ubuntu1804-sw:/workspace$ python3
Python 3.6.10 |Anaconda, Inc.| (default, Mar 25 2020, 23:51:54)
[GCC 7.3.0] on linux
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>> import torch
>>> exit
Use exit() or Ctrl-D (i.e. EOF) to exit
>>> exit()
(vitis-ai-pytorch) wuxian@wuxian-ubuntu1804-sw:/workspace$ python
Python 3.6.10 |Anaconda, Inc.| (default, Mar 25 2020, 23:51:54)
[GCC 7.3.0] on linux
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>> import torch
>>> exit()
(vitis-ai-pytorch) wuxian@wuxian-ubuntu1804-sw:/workspace$ pip3 list
Package       Version
------------- ------------------------
certifi       2020.6.20
cffi          1.14.0
mkl-fft       1.1.0
mkl-random    1.1.1
mkl-service   2.3.0
numpy         1.17.2
olefile       0.46
Pillow        7.2.0
pip           20.1.1
protobuf      3.11.4
pybind11      2.5.0
pycparser     2.20
pytorch-nndct 0.1.0-a5f1f45-torch1.1.0
scipy         1.3.1
setuptools    49.2.0.post20200714
six           1.15.0
torch         1.1.0
torchvision   0.3.0
tqdm          4.47.0
wheel         0.34.2

I am using the VAI 1.2 tag to run the test

wuxian@wuxian-ubuntu1804-sw:~/wu_software/Vitis-AI$ git branch
* (HEAD detached at v1.2)
  master

And the docker image is generated via:

cd ./docker
./docker_build_gpu.sh
Best Regards,
Jason

philreiter
Visitor
Visitor

Thank you for testing this on your end, @jasonwu. I was also able to successfully run import torch previously, so potentially the "illegal instruction" issue encountered with resnet18_quant.py quantization is separate.

Regarding running the vai-q-pytorch container with GPU support, ensure that you're using using the vitis-ai-gpu Docker environment (the instruction mention vitis-ai

./docker_run.sh xilinx/vitis-ai-gpu:latest

Also, to indicate how many GPUs are used by Docker, add

--gpus=all \

to the docker_run.sh script (substitute "all" for however many GPUs you want allocated, or leave as-is to dedicate all GPU resources to Docker):

elif [[ $IMAGE_NAME == *"gpu"* ]]; then
docker run \
$docker_devices \
-v /opt/xilinx/dsa:/opt/xilinx/dsa \
-v /opt/xilinx/overlaybins:/opt/xilinx/overlaybins \
-e USER=$user -e UID=$uid -e GID=$gid \
-v $HERE:/workspace \
-v /dev/shm:/dev/shm \
-w /workspace \
-it \
--rm \
--runtime=nvidia \
--network=host \
--gpus=all\
$IMAGE_NAME \
bash

@jasonwu, regarding the the "illegal instruction" matter being faced by @masa and I, are you able to successfully run resnet18_quant.py from /workspace/Vitis-AI-Quantizer/vai_q_pytorch/example?

python resnet18_quant.py --quant_mode 1 --subset_len 200

Your help on this thread would be greatly appreciated: https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/AI-and-Vitis-AI/Pytorch-Illegal-instruction-core-dumped/td-p/1134124

0 Kudos
natheesan
Participant
Participant

Hi @jasonwu 

Thanks for your help. I did the same way that you did. Still, I am getting that error.

I am not getting that error if I used the source code version of vai_q_pytorch (https://github.com/Xilinx/Vitis-AI/tree/master/Vitis-AI-Quantizer/vai_q_pytorch). Only I am facing this issue if I used the Docker environment.

I am not sure, where is the actual error located.

ter.png

Thanks,
Natheesan

0 Kudos
philreiter
Visitor
Visitor

Thank you, @natheesan , I also only see the "illegal instruction" error within the docker environment.

I am attempting to build and run vai_q_pytorch outside of docker and have followed the README instructions to recreate the environment. Unfortunately, this results in a pytorch-nndct syntax error when running the "import pytorch_nndct" from the instructions:

File "/home/ubuntu/anaconda3/envs/pytorch_p36/lib/python3.6/site-packages/pytorch_nndct/apis/quant_api.py", line 78 

GLOBAL_MAP.set_map(NNDCT_KEYS.QUANT_MODE, quant_mode) 

^ 

SyntaxError: invalid syntax 

The docker environment uses a custom pytorch-nndct version, 0.1.0-a5f1f45-torch1.1.0 .

@jasonwu, do you know how this version of pytorch-nndct can be retrieved/reproduced from outside the Vitis AI docker env? Thanks!

0 Kudos
philreiter
Visitor
Visitor

Update: It was determined that there is indeed a typo released with the pytorch_nndct/apis/quant_api.py file in the latest release (1.2.82):

NndctScreenLogger().info(f('GLOBAL_MAP set_map quant_mode')

With this incorrect '(' removed, it is possible to perform quantization (resnet18_quant.py --quant_mode 1) outside the Docker container. However, Xmodel generation fails (resnet18_quant.py --quant_mode 2)  as the XIR package cannot be found. From this thread, https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/AI-and-Vitis-AI/Where-is-vai-c-xir-command/td-p/1129301, it seems that, as XIR is not publicly released, it can only be accessed through the Docker environment.

So the attempt to build vai_q_pytorch locally has come back to resolving the "illegal instruction" error encountered in the Docker env: https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/AI-and-Vitis-AI/Pytorch-Illegal-instruction-core-dumped/m-p/1134124

Thread 1 "python" received signal SIGILL, Illegal instruction.
0x00007f8325a31cdb in mkldnn::impl::scales_t::set(int, int, float const*) () from /opt/vitis_ai/conda/envs/vitis-ai-pytorch/lib/python3.6/site-packages/torch/lib/libcaffe2.so

0 Kudos
jasonwu

Hi @natheesan ,

As I said before the machine I was using meet some display card driver problem here.

So I try to install a new Ubuntu 18.04 and start with the fresh new system.

I install the GPU associated stuffs from here:

https://www.tensorflow.org/install/gpu

And then install the docker environment(I am using VAI 1.1 guide because it is more detailed):

https://github.com/Xilinx/Vitis-AI/blob/v1.1/doc/install_docker/README.md

And then following the flows on VAI 1.2 tag to download and install the image. I still can't meet your issue.

And @philreiter ,

I am afraid that I haven't tried for the resnet example on Pytorch yet it would need image data to do further test.

I would try to do the test on my side if the image data is ready.

Best Regards,
Jason

0 Kudos
philreiter
Visitor
Visitor

I understand, @jasonwu. I am also investigating this matter on a Vitis AI GitHub issues thread: https://github.com/Xilinx/Vitis-AI/issues/135

0 Kudos
jasonwu

Hi @philreiter ,

Thanks to your update. And as an update on my side, I still can't find the proper dataset so that I am just using 100 picture of validation images and can't reproduce the issue:

(vitis-ai-pytorch) wuxian@wuxian-Ubuntu1804:/workspace/Vitis-AI-Quantizer/vai_q_
pytorch/example$ python resnet18_quant.py --quant_mode 1 --subset_len 100

[NNDCT_NOTE]: Loading NNDCT kernels...
-------- Start resnet18 test 

[NNDCT_NOTE]: Quantization calibration process start up...

[NNDCT_NOTE]: =>Parsing ResNet...

[NNDCT_NOTE]: =>Quantizable module is generated.(quantize_result/ResNet.py)
100%|#############################################| 4/4 [00:01<00:00,  2.54it/s]
loss: 0.687199
top-1 / top-5 accuracy: 0 / 0

[NNDCT_NOTE]: =>Exporting quant config.(quantize_result/quant_info.json)
-------- End of resnet18 test 
(vitis-ai-pytorch) wuxian@wuxian-Ubuntu1804:/workspace/Vitis-AI-Quantizer/vai_q_
pytorch/example$ 
Best Regards,
Jason

0 Kudos