cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNNC v2.08 potential shape calculation bug for deconvolution layers

Jump to solution

So after modifying my prototxt heavily to fit the network within the operations allowed by DNNDK, I was finally able to quantize my custom trained Yolov3-tiny network with DECENT. However, the DNNC step fails, saying that the shape of the blobs do not match for concatenation.

$ ./decent.sh
[...]
I0323 03:08:33.302323 17427 net.cpp:330] Network initialization done.
I0323 03:08:33.341049 17427 decent.cpp:333] Start Deploy
I0323 03:08:33.449362 17427 decent.cpp:341] Deploy Done!
--------------------------------------------------
Output Deploy Weights: "[...]/xilinx_dnndk_v2.08/host_x86/models/yolov3-tiny/decent_output/deploy.caffemodel"
Output Deploy Model: "[...]/xilinx_dnndk_v2.08/host_x86/models/yolov3-tiny/decent_output/deploy.prototxt"

$ ./dnnc.sh Compiling network: yolov3_tiny_c1 [DNNC][Error] Make sure concat's inputs all have same width and height shape, current concat layer is [layer21_route]. [DNNC][Error] Infer shape for current layer [layer21_route] failed.

But surely they do match, since I was able to run inference on my host computer with Caffe and it passes the DECENT step. The offending layer is a concatenation of two values at the channel layer, one of which is the output of a deconvolution operation. The deconvolution operation was used to implement the upsampling layer for Yolov3-tiny.

My guess is that DNNC is miscomputing the output shape of the deconvolution, making it think that there's a shape mismatch. Is there any way I can test if this is happening and work around it? Alternatively, is there a way to split the network at the upsampling stage so that I can do that step on the CPU instead? If I just split the prototxt into two files, I have no way to calibrate the lower half when running DECENT since the input data won't be images.

I would attach my model folder if I could, but I think the forum isn't letting me post when I do that.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

I found the reason. It was because I had large Slice and Concat layers, which somehow affected the ability of DNNC to compute the proper blob shapes for downstream layers. When I replace the Slice and Concat layers with convolutions (truly quite inefficient, but what can a man do?), the DNNC phase passes.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies

I found the reason. It was because I had large Slice and Concat layers, which somehow affected the ability of DNNC to compute the proper blob shapes for downstream layers. When I replace the Slice and Concat layers with convolutions (truly quite inefficient, but what can a man do?), the DNNC phase passes.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
qhall
Explorer
Explorer

dalud@andrew.cmu.eduThis is interesting work.  Thanks for sharing this.  Did you employ the Xilinx DarkNet to Caffe tool for this effort?

--Quenton

0 Kudos
ahe
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

dalud@andrew.cmu.edu  已写:

So you change the model structure that may cause the accuracy changed? Have you got the test accuracy compared with the origian yolo mode?

Thanks,

Alex

0 Kudos

I've used this repo to convert the Yolov3-tiny darknet model to caffe, but I had to make some significant changes on top of it.

https://github.com/ChenYingpeng/caffe-yolov3

I first tried to implement upsample with reshapes and tiling, but DNNC didn't support those operations. Then I used deconvolution. I originally implemented the unevenly padded max-pooling layer with an evenly padded max-pooling layer + slice into 14 columns and concat 13 of them, but I had the bug mentioned earlier so I replaced the slice and concat layers with a 2x2 convolution.

I haven't tested the loss, but I adapted the face detection demo to use Yolov3 to detect pedestrians and it behaves pretty well there (though the discretization is causing the bounding box sizes to visibly flicker). I didn't need to re-train, since I was able to use the trained weights even after the modifications to the structure as the final computation outcome remains the same.

0 Kudos
aluo
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

dalud@andrew.cmu.eduit is cool. Are you able to share the modified model? 

0 Kudos
jsi_wmz
Contributor
Contributor

dalud@andrew.cmu.edu  In yolov3-tiny model, I replace upsample layer with deconvolution. It passed the decent script. But an error occurred when it came to dnnc, like this

./dnnc_yolov3-tiny.sh 
Compiling network: yolov3tiny
[DNNC][Fatal] Check failed for condition [current->in_degree() > 1] in [/tmp/DNNC_V010_Package/dnnc/dnnc_impl/core/layergraph.cc:111] :
*** Check failure stack trace: ***

Does anyone know the meaning of this error?

My deconv layer wrote like this

layer {
  name: "layer20-deconv"
  type: "Deconvolution"
  bottom: "layer19-conv"
  top: "layer20-deconv"
  phase: TRAIN
  convolution_param {
    num_output: 128
    bias_term: false
    pad: 0
    kernel_size: 2
    stride: 2
  }
}

0 Kudos

I have the input prototxt included. This is for a modified version of Yolov3-tiny with only one output class (which changes the number of filters at some layers from 255 to 18).

Usually I don't find the error messages useful. Instead, it helps to remove layers one at a time from the bottom until the error disappears; the last one removed would be the one that DNNC doesn't like.

0 Kudos
jsi_wmz
Contributor
Contributor

dalud@andrew.cmu.edu Thanks a lot for your help. I just removed the layer one by one and eventually found the reason. In original yolov3 tiny, there is a route(concat) layer which has only one input.  The concat layer has one input is allowed in Caffe but not DNNC. After i removed that route layer, it worked.

0 Kudos