cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Development board recommendation for student interested in AI acceleration.

Jump to solution

Hello,

I am a student new to the field of fpga development so please excuse any igorance I may have regarding the field.

I am interested in the possibility of using fpgas for accelerating artificial inteligence especially when low power consuption is necessary.  I've done a bit of reasearch and feel that an Artix-7 based board would have the required power I need  at a reasonable cost.  More specifically I'm currently interested in processing text but may expand into image/video at a later date.  However, the boards I have been able to find, for example the Arty A7-100, don't seem to be designed for co-processor/acceleration work that I'd like to do.  So to avoid purchasing a product that will not fit my needs, can anyone recomend a board or boards that will work well for my use cases of AI acceleration while still being affordable for a student like myself.

Thanks.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Hi @jslosi ,

It really depends what you want to do but I would recommend the PYNQ board. You will see on pynq website that there are already some AI examples.

Regards,

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Highlighted

Hi @jslosi ,

It really depends what you want to do but I would recommend the PYNQ board. You will see on pynq website that there are already some AI examples.

Regards,

Florent

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Hi @florentw ,

Thanks for your reply.  I have a few more questions.  First what benefits would the arm processor give me over let's say communicating with the FPGA over serial from my computer?  It's worth noting I currently only plan on using a pre-designed board for prototyping this and if it works will be designing a custom board for this project.

Regards,

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi @jslosi ,

The ARM processor is inside the chip. The Zynq-7000 family as both an ARM processor and a FPGA fabric on the same chip.

The advantage is that you do not need to use a Microblaze if you need to use a OS or some software.

Florent
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Hi @florentw ,

I think we're misunderstanding each other.  I understand that I can use the arm processor to run an OS or other software, my question was more of what reasons would I have to use that to run code to interface with my FPGA design vs just using the computer I'm using for development.

Regards,

JSL

0 Kudos
Highlighted

HI @jslosi ,

Ok, I understand. You do not really need it. But it is there if you need and it is one of the cheapest board.

Florent
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Hi @florentw ,

One last question about the board you recommended because I can't seem to find this info anywhere, what is the max frequency for the FPGA portion of the Zynq chip?  Is it the same as the Arm cpu (650 mhz)?  For example the Arty A7 I was looking at states internal clock speeds exceeding 450mhz.

Thanks,

jslosi

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Teacher
Teacher

this might be of interest

https://www.parallella.org/board/

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi @jslosi ,

The fabric (FPGA part) of the zynq-7000 is either based or Artix-7 or Kintex-7.

On the pynq-z2 it is XC7Z020-1CLG400C is based on Artix-7 fabric (see this for reference)

Both the devices on the Arty-A7 and the Pynq-Z2 are -1 speedgrade thus they have the same performance (max frequency)

Regards,

Florent
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

I have an Portable Ultrasound that uses Artix-200T. I have been tasked with researching how to do AI Inferences on this platform. Assume Micro blaze, Is there any detail available on the Xilinx site on using Artix for such work, maybe not preferred but p-o-s-s-i-b-l-e because this is what I have on my system. - Patrick

0 Kudos