Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dhpancha
Observer
Observer

Trouble getting Vitis AI to run on ZCU 104

Hi,

I'm trying to get Vitis AI to run on my ZCU104 and am having issues doing that. I set Boot Switch 1 to ON and the rest to OFF. I flashed the Vitis AI image (as mentioned in the Vitis AI User Guide - see attached screenshot) onto SD card.  However, when I insert the card into the ZCU104 and turn it on, I get nothing on my monitor and also I can't communicate with it VART nor Ethernet neither. Does anyone have any idea what is going on?

Untitled.png
0 Kudos
17 Replies
chaoz
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

@dhpancha 

You mean you are having a booting issue? Things you might want to check,

1. Do you get any boot log over uart? 

2. Can you boot successfully with other images with the same board setup? I could be a hardware issue.

Chao
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to "Accept as solution" or "Kudo" if it helps. Thanks!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chao
如果帖子有帮助,别忘“接受为解决方案”或“奖励”。谢谢!
dhpancha
Observer
Observer

1. I am unsure how to get the bootlog for UART. I tried to access the board through UART using the vitis ai user (https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/vitis_ai/1_0/ug1414-vitis-ai.pdf on page 24) but I am unclear how to do that. I ran ifconfig on my host and didn't see any type of UART (or Ethernet connection). I was unsure what the IP address was to try to ssh into the board as well.

2. I tried booting using the most recent vitis ai image 2020.2 and 2019.2 and nothing pops up on my monitor screen nor can I access the board via host using UART or Ethernet. Are there any pre-steps that we need to take on the ZCU104 beforehand in order to run the vitis AI image?

0 Kudos
jheaton
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Are you using a DisplayPort Monitor, don't use HDMI that is not supported.

Is your serial port working, what terminal program are running? I like to use MobaXterm.

Once you have a serial port connection working you can set the IP address with the command ifconfig command, for example ifconfig eth0 192.168.50.187. You will also have to set a static ip address on your host machine, for example 192.168.50.186.

dhpancha
Observer
Observer

I tried the Display Port connection on the board and its doesn't display anything on my display screen (Its worked with other devices in the past).

I tried to connect to the serial port using Putty on Ubuntu but it didn't connect. Is there a MobaXterm version for Ubuntu?

Also, below is my setup for the ZCU104 board. I'm using a 128 GB SD card for the 2020.2 image.

IMG_20210713_145324.jpg
0 Kudos
jheaton
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

I think one of two things is going here. Either the board is not booting, or it is booting but your serial terminal is not working.

Lets make sure the serial port is hooked up correctly.
You can use PUTTY, but make sure you are connecting to correct COM port. You will typically see 3 COM ports listed available on the board, and you will want to use the lowest number and set the baud rate set to 115200. Try the other 2 COM ports as well if you do not see any outputs.

If the serial is really not working then the board is not booting properly. In this case I would try another SD card.

dhpancha
Observer
Observer

Ok, I was able to access the board via Serial Port using Putty. I set the IP address of the board to 192.168.0.10. However, I'm still trying to get the board to display its desktop via HDMI and its not displaying anything. Is there some sort of command line that we must enter to do that? 

Also, whenever I turn off the board, it seems to forget the IP address and I need to set it again. Is there a way to set the IP address so that it doesn't lose it after turning the ZCU104 off?

0 Kudos
dhpancha
Observer
Observer

Does anyone have any idea how to get the ZCU 104 working with HDMI?

0 Kudos
gguasti

hi

if you want to set the IP address permanently you can edit the /etc/profile

if you see the ZCU104 is doing udhcp, you might append to the /etc/profile the following lines:

ifconfig eth0 down
ifconfig eth0 hw ether 00:0a:35:04:c2:af
ifconfig eth0 up
udhcpc

or you could try to set the IP address directly:

ifconfig eth0 149.199.168.138 netmask 255.255.255.0

0 Kudos
dhpancha
Observer
Observer

I'm trying to run this Yolov4 tutorial: https://github.com/Xilinx/Vitis-Tutorials/blob/master/Machine_Learning/Design_Tutorials/07-yolov4-tutorial/README.md

I'm running into the issue of cloning darknet using the following command but am getting a error: ~/Vitis-AI# git clone https://github.com/AlexeyAB/darknet
Cloning into 'darknet'...
fatal: unable to access 'https://github.com/AlexeyAB/darknet/': server certificate verification failed. CAfile: /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt CRLfile: none

Any ideas?

Also, I'm having issue using the "sudo apt-get install [package]" or "sudo apt-get update" to work. Is there a way to do that? 

0 Kudos
chaoz
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

@dhpancha I think there might be some issues with your network. Can you open  https://github.com/AlexeyAB/darknet/  with your browser?.

Chao

Chao
0 Kudos
dhpancha
Observer
Observer

On my host browser (Chrome) yes but from the board command prompt it gives me an error.

0 Kudos
chaoz
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Please try with git clone https://github.com/AlexeyAB/darknet.git

Chao

Chao
0 Kudos
dhpancha
Observer
Observer

I get this:

# git clone https://github.com/AlexeyAB/darknet.git
Cloning into 'darknet'...
fatal: unable to access 'https://github.com/AlexeyAB/darknet.git/': server certificate verification failed. CAfile: /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt CRLfile: none

Does the 'git clone' command have to be entered on my host machine or ZCU 104?

Also, do I need to also install Vitis AI on my host machine (using './docker_run.sh xilinx/vitis-ai-cpu:latest') as well? If so, how much disk space do I need to do that?

0 Kudos
jheaton
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

You mentioned using the cpu docker, do you have a GPU enabled host machine?

The Yolov4 Tutorial requires training of the COCO or VOC models. Without a GPU the training in Darknet is going to take a very long time, we are talking weeks not days.

If you do not have GPU then I recommend using a yolov4 model from the Vitis-AI Model Zoo thats already trained.

Darknet will need to be installed on the host not the ZCU104, and yes you will need to install Vitis-AI to quantize and compile the model after training.

0 Kudos
dhpancha
Observer
Observer

Unfortunately, I don't have a GPU hosted machine fast enough to train Yolov4 model (I only have embedded Nvidia Xavier NX board which probably isn't fast enough to train a Yolo model). I'll check out the Vitis-AI Model Zoo. How do I access the zoo?

Do I need to quantize and compile the model if its already trained using the Vitis AI on the host? If so, does that require me to run the CPU/GPU docker?

0 Kudos
jheaton
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Model Zoo is at: https://github.com/Xilinx/Vitis-AI/tree/master/models/AI-Model-Zoo

The model should already be quantized, but you will need to compile with the CPU docker container of Vitis-AI.

0 Kudos
dhpancha
Observer
Observer

How much disk space do I need on my host machine to run the CPU docker container?

0 Kudos