cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Burst mode of PS AXI master

How to force the PS axi master to do the burst transactions to PL slave. I've tried using memcpy() function. But, it does the burst length of 4 irrespective of the array length of the variable mem32burst.

u32  pl_base_addr  = 0x80000000; //M_AXI_LPD port
u32  mem32burst [16]; 
//Write Data for (int id=0; id < 16 ; id++) mem32burst[id] = 0xA5A5+id;
//Burst Write memcpy((u32*)pl_base_addr , mem32burst, 16*sizeof (u32)); //Reset Array for (int id=0; id < 16 ; id++) mem32burst[id] = 0x0000; //Burst Read memcpy(mem32burst, (u32*)(pl_base_addr), 16* sizeof (u32));

P.S. I use vivado 2017.4 and using ILA to monitor the AXI transactions.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @sridar-s,

This looks like standard C code running on one of the ARM processors in a Zynq PS.

The short answer is that you are probably getting the best performance you can for the default MMU or MPU settings. (MMU is for A-series processors, MPU is for R-series processors.) SDK defaults the PL memory regions, like the one at 0x8000_0000 in MPSoC, to use Strongly Ordered or Device-nGnRnE settings. This means that hardware is not allowed to combine read/write accesses into longer bursts. The initial size and length of the request must be honored. SDK uses this because it is a safe setting and ideal for code that talks to registers. 

Depending on your requirements, you might consider changing the MMU settings for the 0x8000_0000 region of interest to either Normal Non-cacheable or Normal write back cacheable. (There are functions in xil_mmu.c to do this.) If you are moving a lot of data between memory regions, you may also want to consider using one of the DMAs in the PS.

Regards,

Deanna

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

>> SDK uses this because it is a safe setting and ideal for code that talks to registers. 

How does SDK know if the address is Register/Memory? Can I force to SDK to treat the address as memory ?

>>you might consider changing the MMU settings for the 0x8000_0000 region of interest to either Normal Non-cacheable or Normal write back cacheable.

When I changed the settings, the application hangs at a line where memory read/write happens. Any idea why it could happen?

>>  you may also want to consider using one of the DMAs in the PS.

No, There is not much data to go for DMA.

0 Kudos