UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor cjmartin
Visitor

AXI DMA SG working in cyclic mode

Hi,

I want to design a SG-DMA working in cyclic mode (moving data from device to memory in a continuous way). By now I have already designed a DMA system that works well in non cyclic mode. I have implemented the BD ring, and the last descriptor points to the first one. I have included XAxiDMA_SelectCyclicMode instruction to get the DMA run again over the BD ring if it continue receiving packages from the device. However, when I execute the code the system only progresses until all BD have been processed one time, and then stops. I assume that a fast way to solve this would be submitting BDs to the hardware again using XAxiDMA_BdRingToHw, but definitely it doesn’t seem the most elegant way to get cyclic operation. I work with a ZC702 demoboard and VIVADO 2016.3

Thanks.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Scholar hbucher
Scholar

Re: AXI DMA SG working in cyclic mode

@cjmartin All the searches I did result in Linux patches that handle the restart in software.

Check out "known issues" on the axi dma wiki:

http://www.wiki.xilinx.com/AXI+DMA+Standalone+Driver

vitorian.com --- We do this for fun. Always give kudos. Accept as solution if your question was answered.
I will not answer to personal messages - use the forums instead.
dmacyclicmode.PNG
Scholar hbucher
Scholar

@cjmartin

You could possibly write some HLS code to stream continuously to memory. It would not be so hard and would be autonomous.

vitorian.com --- We do this for fun. Always give kudos. Accept as solution if your question was answered.
0 Kudos
Visitor cjmartin
Visitor

Hi again,

There would be some significant difference between programming the DMA SG directly writing on the core registers rather than using the API provided with the BSP? According to some tutorials I have found on internet, it seems that cyclic mode works well if DMA is configured directly, bypassing the API functions, but I am not sure if API performs some additional task that should be taken into account to make DMA works properly (particularly those related with cache managing).

Thanks a lot.

C.J.

0 Kudos
Scholar hbucher
Scholar

@cjmartin I have not had the need to do it in this particular case but I am sure it would work as well with a custom master.

In the end it is all AXI commands over the wire.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer jxlannie
Observer

回复: AXI DMA SG working in cyclic mode

Before call the function XAxiDMA_SelectCyclicMode, did you call XAxiDma_BdRingEnableCyclicDMA? It is enable Cyclic DMA Mode, enable the RingPtr-->Cyclic=1.

I also have a question, in the Cyclic Mode ,PS sends the buffer's datas continously from the first BD to the last BD, then the buffer's datas refeshed or not for the second sending?

0 Kudos