UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer
Adventurer

Generating AXI Signals

Jump to solution

I have block design containing several Block RAMs and 7 series MIG for DDR3. All are interconnected using AXI protocol.

I studied AXI Master Burst (https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/ip_documentation/axi_master_burst/v2_0/pg162-axi-master-burst.pdf) and implemented a state machine for generating AXI signals, but after Synthesis, I noticed many signals in axi_master_burst are removed (got this warning : Unused Sequential element was removed).

Should I use DONT_TOUCH attribute for each and every signal that is being removed ?
If there is a better and easier way to generate AXI master signals, please tell me where to start..

I'm using Vivado 2017.2 and Ubuntu 16.04

[Synth 8-6014] Unused sequential element sig_stat_tag_reg_reg was removed.  ["/media/cn1lab005/dataFYP/vivado_projects/fyp/bfm_test/bfm_test.srcs/sources_1/bd/design_1/ipshared/e744/imports/hdl/axi_master_burst_v2_0_vh_rfs.vhd":17757]

[Synth 8-6014] Unused sequential element sig_pop_status_reg was removed.  ["/media/cn1lab005/dataFYP/vivado_projects/fyp/bfm_test/bfm_test.srcs/sources_1/bd/design_1/ipshared/e744/imports/hdl/axi_master_burst_v2_0_vh_rfs.vhd":17337]

[Synth 8-6014] Unused sequential element GEN_OFFSET_MODE.strt_offset_reg was removed.  ["/media/cn1lab005/dataFYP/vivado_projects/fyp/bfm_test/bfm_test.srcs/sources_1/bd/design_1/ipshared/e744/imports/hdl/axi_master_burst_v2_0_vh_rfs.vhd":951]

[Synth 8-6014] Unused sequential element GEN_OFFSET_MODE.end_offset_reg was removed.  ["/media/cn1lab005/dataFYP/vivado_projects/fyp/bfm_test/bfm_test.srcs/sources_1/bd/design_1/ipshared/e744/imports/hdl/axi_master_burst_v2_0_vh_rfs.vhd":966]

[Synth 8-6014] Unused sequential element GEN_OFFSET_MODE.sig_strb_value_reg was removed.  ["/media/cn1lab005/dataFYP/vivado_projects/fyp/bfm_test/bfm_test.srcs/sources_1/bd/design_1/ipshared/e744/imports/hdl/axi_master_burst_v2_0_vh_rfs.vhd":911]

[Synth 8-6014] Unused sequential element GEN_ADDR_MODE.strt_offset_reg was removed.  ["/media/cn1lab005/dataFYP/vivado_projects/fyp/bfm_test/bfm_test.srcs/sources_1/bd/design_1/ipshared/e744/imports/hdl/axi_master_burst_v2_0_vh_rfs.vhd":1086]

[Synth 8-6014] Unused sequential element GEN_ADDR_MODE.end_offset_reg was removed.  ["/media/cn1lab005/dataFYP/vivado_projects/fyp/bfm_test/bfm_test.srcs/sources_1/bd/design_1/ipshared/e744/imports/hdl/axi_master_burst_v2_0_vh_rfs.vhd":1102]

[Synth 8-6014] Unused sequential element GEN_ADDR_MODE.sig_strb_value_reg was removed.  ["/media/cn1lab005/dataFYP/vivado_projects/fyp/bfm_test/bfm_test.srcs/sources_1/bd/design_1/ipshared/e744/imports/hdl/axi_master_burst_v2_0_vh_rfs.vhd":1043]

[Synth 8-6014] Unused sequential element sig_input_reg_full_reg was removed.  ["/media/cn1lab005/dataFYP/vivado_projects/fyp/bfm_test/bfm_test.srcs/sources_1/bd/design_1/ipshared/e744/imports/hdl/axi_master_burst_v2_0_vh_rfs.vhd":10837]

[Synth 8-6014] Unused sequential element sig_xfer_reg_full_reg was removed.  ["/media/cn1lab005/dataFYP/vivado_projects/fyp/bfm_test/bfm_test.srcs/sources_1/bd/design_1/ipshared/e744/imports/hdl/axi_master_burst_v2_0_vh_rfs.vhd":11137]

[Synth 8-6014] Unused sequential element sig_next_tag_reg_reg was removed.  ["/media/cn1lab005/dataFYP/vivado_projects/fyp/bfm_test/bfm_test.srcs/sources_1/bd/design_1/ipshared/e744/imports/hdl/axi_master_burst_v2_0_vh_rfs.vhd":13608]

[Synth 8-6014] Unused sequential element sig_next_cmd_cmplt_reg_reg was removed.  ["/media/cn1lab005/dataFYP/vivado_projects/fyp/bfm_test/bfm_test.srcs/sources_1/bd/design_1/ipshared/e744/imports/hdl/axi_master_burst_v2_0_vh_rfs.vhd":13613]

[Synth 8-6014] Unused sequential element sig_next_dre_src_align_reg_reg was removed.  ["/media/cn1lab005/dataFYP/vivado_projects/fyp/bfm_test/bfm_test.srcs/sources_1/bd/design_1/ipshared/e744/imports/hdl/axi_master_burst_v2_0_vh_rfs.vhd":9385]
and many more like that..

Thank You

Jagannath

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scholar austin
Scholar

Re: Generating AXI Signals

Jump to solution

j,

Yes, if not all features of the IP are used, trimming occurs.  No problem.  Again, you need to verify your design does what you want.  A bug in your code may lead to the trimming, and cause problems.  So the trimming per se isn't good, or bad.  It just lets you know stuff was removed.  It is always up to you to verify your design.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
3 Replies
Scholar austin
Scholar

Jump to solution

J,

If it isn't used, why keep it?  Trimming unused logic from designs is a good thing.  Discovering why it is unused means you get to be a better designer.

So rather than fight to keep something of no value, I would go discover WHY it has no value.  Perhaps you design has problems.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

@austin

Thanks for replying Austin.

I agree that trimming unused logic is a good thing.

What has me worried is that the elements removed are from Xilinx IP axi_master_burst_v2_0 (from <vivado_install_path>/data/ip/xilinx). And if these sequential elements are removed, would AXI signals be generated properly ?

Regards

Jagannath

0 Kudos
Scholar austin
Scholar

Jump to solution

j,

Yes, if not all features of the IP are used, trimming occurs.  No problem.  Again, you need to verify your design does what you want.  A bug in your code may lead to the trimming, and cause problems.  So the trimming per se isn't good, or bad.  It just lets you know stuff was removed.  It is always up to you to verify your design.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose