UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

How Do I Perform an AXI Burst in Software?

Observer

How Do I Perform an AXI Burst in Software?

The AXI Reference Guide (UG761) states:

"AXI4 is for memory mapped interfaces and allows burst of up to 256 data transfer
cycles with just a single address phase."

My question is: How do I initiate a burst in software? Do I use memcpy() in C and a burst transfer is performed on the AXI bus? I've search online for an answer to this with no success.

Thanks,

Kevin

Teacher

Re: How Do I Perform an AXI Burst in Software?

There is no mechanism which would cause a cpu to issue a burst. I am pretty sure even load/store multiple register instructions don't do it. The only option to initiate burst is to use some external hardware ie the dma controller on the arm processor (pl330) or an axi master built into the pl.
- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
Xilinx Employee

Bursts from a CPU are generally only issued by cache and related CPU hardware. So the short answer is to set the your MMU/translation table to be "normal" memory (versus peripheral or device memory), and then enable the cache. When the cache either fetches or evicts a cacheline, a burst will occur. Note that this also means that it is up to the CPU application to perform cache maintainance operations if the data must be moved out to the PL in a timely manner.

Observer

I've tried doing that to an AXI peripheral in PL with the ldm and stm instrustions a while ago. I was able to generate burst read of 4 beats and burst write of 2 beats at most, even though I tried to read/write more registers. This was observed on hardware with Vivado logic analyzer. I was unable to generate longer burst to my AXI peripheral with software. Also, note that I was trying to burst to an AXI peripheral in PL, therefore I believe it doesn't involve any cache operation. Bursting to / from DRAM with software is another story, I don't think there is a way to force that.

Xilinx Employee

The L2 cache controller has a 32-byte cache line. So the maximum you would usually expect to see at a 32-bit interface is a burst of 8 beats (there is a double cacheline mode for prefetching, but let's ignore that for now).

There is no difference from the CPU perspective of the PL and DRAM. It is all about how the MMU translation tables are configured.

See this Answer Record for how to mark the PL to be normal memory:

http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/47406.html

Explorer

Hi,

I am new to 7 series. What is "pl" in the above posts?

Thanks,

"an axi master built into the pl."

Highlighted
Teacher

It stands for Programmable Logic. In Zynq chips there is Processor Subsystem and PL.

- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
Explorer

@kmshaw_saic

memcpy() is the correct way to get the maximum burst rate from the the Zynq to the fabric using the AXI-GP bus. This question has come up in a lot of areas so maybe this will help others out. Here was my post from last year siting several other forms of the same question: HERE