UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer
Explorer

both AXI Lite & AXI4 port in AXI-Stream FIFO (v4.1) core

Hello,

I had the Vivado IP Catalog create an AXI-Stream FIFO and I selected AXI4 and not the AXI Lite memory mapped interface.  However VHDL declaration and instantiation blocks that the Vivado produced includes both the AXI Lite and AXI4 port IO signals.  I'm wondering if I can delete the AXI Lite port signals or do I have to include that baggage and accommodate the inputs with dummy bits and include "open" on the outputs?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Scholar hbucher
Scholar

Re: both AXI Lite & AXI4 port in AXI-Stream FIFO (v4.1) core

@sprl111 Can you post a screenshot or snippet of code exemplifying? 

I am having trouble visualizing what you mean.

vitorian.com --- We do this for fun. Always give kudos. Accept as solution if your question was answered.
I will not answer to personal messages - use the forums instead.
0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hello @sprl111,

if you aim to use AXI Full interface, you can simply ignore the AXI lite interface and leave it unconnected in your design. As you said, you can also modify the main IP core which is located in directory lets say: /Xilinx/Vivado/2017.2/data/ip/xilinx/axi_fifo_mm_s_v4_1/   with the following steps: 

1) first of all, copy the folder named /axi_fifo_mm_s_v4_1/  to the directory of your design (i.e. folder which your IPs located).
2) Go inside the VHDLs of IP, remove ports related to AXI lite.
3) In the Vivado integrate environment, from the control pane (above bar of the tool) click on Tools/ Create and Package new IPs ... 
4) click next then check the package a specified directory in which you can locate the directory of modified FIFO IPs. 
5) re-package the new modified IPs. 

Hope this helps,
Farnam 

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

thanks.

doesn't the xilinx staff ever respond to customers any more?  xilinx no longer has phone support, they no longer have direct online support, and now it seems they don't even support customers on the forum any more.  i guess the're just too high and mighty to concern themselves with customers these days.  wonder where they will be ten years from now.  i know i'm keeping my eyes open for alternatives.

0 Kudos
Scholar hbucher
Scholar

@sprl111 Wait and they will eventually show up. I have read somewhere there is one employee responsible for each sub-forum and they go through all the posts once a week. Until there you are stuck with **us**. 

I don't think there is dedicated support anymore. Unless you pay for support. 

Perhaps they should have a "Xilinx employees only" flag on posts. OR you can explicitly state that up front. I am sure the "users" won't even bother to comment. 

If you think about it, that is exactly how Apple does. You go to the Apple store and you gotta shell $50 for them even have a look at your device. OR you buy a support plan. I guess the alternative would be to raise the price of all devices, make them more expensive such that they can hire more people to place on standby here. 

vitorian.com --- We do this for fun. Always give kudos. Accept as solution if your question was answered.
0 Kudos

Hi @sprl111,

I think what @hbucher wants to say in the first part of is reply is that your response was not nice for him and @fkhalili.

They tried to help and you didn't even take 30 seconds to say "thank you for your response but this is not what I am looking for". Remember that they are doing this for free to help you in a community spirit.

This is not because they are not flagged as Xilinx employees that they are not able to answer your questions. There are a lot of talented members on the forums, some are using FPGAs for decades and are more experienced than many Xilinx employees.

And about Xilinx, if you look on the forums, you will see that there is a lot of replies by Xilinx employee. We are not letting you without any helps but we are just waiting to give a chance to the community to answer first.

Regards,

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

The problem of course is that I have no idea who these people are and whether they know what they are talking about or not.  They may give me some hack or stop gap that works but that may not be the best solution or there may be more relevant and helpful information that they are unaware of.  That of course is the problem with forums.  It is my understanding that this forum is supposed to be the Xilinx support surrogate otherwise I would not even be here.  I have no interest in some feel good social exchange.  As pathetic a support surrogate as this forum is I would expect to hear from Xilinx support personnel on Xilinx support questions since there is no other avenue of support.  I'd just as soon not hear from anyone else.  As for paying for support, I don't see that mentioned anywhere on the Xilinx site.  Mentioning that I would like to hear from Xilinx people only when I post a question is a good idea though.  From now on I'll say that on every post.  

0 Kudos

Hi @sprl111,

"Mentioning that I would like to hear from Xilinx people only when I post a question is a good idea though.  From now on I'll say that on every post. "

> To be honest with you, if I see a post marked "Xilinx emplyee only" or "Urgent" or anything like that, I do no even read the topic.

This is a community forums, I am here to help and support the community. I am more willing to help people that want to be part of the community and start a discussion with anybody. Not every response will be what you are looking for but it might. And the discussion help both side to make progress. This is maybe not how every Xilinx moderator/contributor will react but this is how I do.

Note that the response from a Xilinx employee is also not a golden answer. So it might also not be the best solution.

Regards,

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
0 Kudos
Scholar austin
Scholar

Everyone, please:

Xilinx does watch the forums.  Xilinx does reply.  Xilinx moderators are assigned to every topic.  They wait to see how the community of experts reply before wading in, depending on how serious the issue appears (I will reply instantly if it sounds like a 'lines down' type of issue - i.e. business critical) and so will others.  Xilinx employees not in support- are invited to reply (though not required to).

Paying for this would be a distraction, and IMHO an insult to the community (you chose to buy our part, you already paid us, it is our job to get your design running so you buy more).  Apple doesn't get re-orders for thousands of iPhones from one customer, so comparing their business model with ours makes no sense at all.

In the past, we had phone banks of support engineers for everyone.  It really didn't work well at all.  Time to solution was sometimes weeks (even with escalation procedures).  Yes, talking to a real person is pleasant.  But, if it isn't working - get over it.

Please accept these forums (and continue to make suggestions on how to improve).  I act as 'Xilinx lightning rod' here, so if it isn't working, email me: austin@xilinx.com

We will, together, get your issue resolved.

After all, 'not working' = 'not buying' --- it is really as simple as that.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
Scholar hbucher
Scholar

For some reason posts have become increasingly aggressive for the past couple months or so. Posts questioning quality of answers despite we going lengths to post docs with pages and screenshots, posts extending several pages drifting from the original question on purpose to extend the helper engagement, posts openly mocking users offering to give the solution only if they do a certain task as if we need solution count for  a living.

It has become quite challenging. But the 50% that thank us sometimes profusely as in my last solution accepted still makes it worth coming here every day. And no I have never reaped any commercial benefits of being top solution author.

Scholar hbucher
Scholar

@stacias @austin @florentw

Can I suggest users be made available an option "Opt-out of community answers"?

Then only Xilinx employees will be able to respond the posts, while still being visible to the community.

That will sure prevent a lot of friction in the future.

0 Kudos
Scholar austin
Scholar

Interesting question,

However it violates the intent and spirit of the community concept:  if you want ONLY a Xilinx employee to answer, you are totally out of luck -- is not going to happen.  Sorry.  Not even considered.

So, if there are those out there who will ONLY accept a Xilinx employee answer for support, find another vendor (and good luck with that).

Of course, there are those customers who get their answers directly from Xilinx everyday, but they work for some very large customers who we invest in supporting directly (may even have FAE on site), or be in a business not supported at all in forums to to trade restriction legalities (e.g. space is never discussed here).

Otherwise, you can call your local Xilinx authorized distributor sales office.  They will make a determination if your business is worthwhile supporting, as they are not a charity, either.

And with that, as a moderator, we will end here.  Please do not reply to this post. Thank you.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose