UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Newbie viktor

Alveo U280 with Dell EMC PowerEDGE R7515

Hello

I am planning to build a server using AMD EPYC 7002 series, DELL EMC PowerEDGE R7515 with two Alveo U280 cards.

As I have checked the datasheet, I am not sure for the compatibility of my build spec.

My question is...

1. Does my build spec meet the compatibility?

2. Is it possible to use the PCIe Gen4 on my system?

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies

Re: Alveo U280 with Dell EMC PowerEDGE R7515

Hello @viktor ,

Please note that Xilinx don't validate all servers available in the market. Its customers responsibility to do that adhering to all the precautions mentioned in the datasheet of the particular Alveo card.
Therefore, as long as the motherboard meets the slot / power requirements, and the CPU is PCIe compliant, the Alveo cards should work fine.

Just to let you know, the Alveo accelerator cards have been validated for interoperability by Xilinx in the following servers only:

Manufacturer                                                 Model/Platform1

Dell EMC                                                          PowerEdge R7425

Dell EMC                                                          PowerEdge R730

Dell EMC                                                          PowerEdge R740

HPE                                                                    ProLiant DL380 G10

Inspur                                                               NF5280M5

Inspur                                                               NF5468M5

SuperMicro                                                     SYS-4028GR-TR

SuperMicro                                                     SYS-4029GP-TRT

SuperMicro                                                     SYS-7049GP-TRT

The ‘Minimum System Requirements’ section of UG1301 (page 6 onwards) has these requirements listed.

Also, the Alveo cards are PCI Express® (PCIe) Gen3x16 compliant. Therefore, if this particular motherboard does have PCIe Gen 3 x16 ports on board, then your Alveo U280 cards will/should work fine. Please note that the cooling arrangement should be sufficient available on this machine.

FYI - PCIe will down train from Gen4 to Gen3 (Per the PCIe spec) (gen2 and 1 - but XRT hasn't been tested below Gen3). What speed it down trains to is up to the BIOS/Chipset.
We have seen Gen4 speed -> Gen3 speed, also seen Gen4 speed -> Gen1 speed.

The options at that point are:

a) Force a slower slot / link speed for the host -- this is done in the BIOS/UEFI, and is almost universally available. It is something that you could quickly check if your host can do it.

or 

b) Load a Gen3 shell instead. Aggregate performance between Gen3 x16 v. Gen4 x8 is negligible (and at the moment is actually looking better on the Gen3 x16).

We've seen a u280 link at gen4x8. However, since we don't have an available shell and as there may be other issues with this, this isn't something we would suggest to you to use, as support is limited as well as functionality.

As Gen4 is not very good solution, because our available PCIe Gen4 solution is only x8, if you don't think Gen4 is going to work, please go with Gen3x16.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
0 Kudos
Newbie viktor

Hmm..

Regardless of the total speed of using Pcie Gen4,
Regardless of its usefulness than Gen3 x16,

I just wanted to make sure if Pcie Gen4 will be literally "working" on my system (with Gen4 compliant motherboard)

And, for now, the answer is "not sure, not suggested" ...
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @viktor 

Today we do not have a Gen4 Shell with the Alveo U280.  However, the underlying block (from custom flow) is PCIe Gen4 *compatible*, but not compliant.  Please review the restrictions in PG213 for further information. 

Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
0 Kudos