cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
freeze
Explorer
Explorer

Alveo U50 : CentOS 8.2 & XRT

I ran into an issue related to building the PCIe device driver (xocl) for CentOS 8.2.

I know that I am pushing it a bit by using CentOS 8.2, but I thought someone might have run into the same issue.

During the XRT (master branch) build and rpm installation process, I encounter the following PCIe driver build error.

(See Attached)

This same issue appeared in the xocl_drv.c file at line 970 when attempting the build the driver under the 2020.1 branch of XRT.

Since CentOS 8.1 is needed for Vitis 2020.1, it would not seem to be too much of a stretch to assume that the device-driver modifications to get it up and running in CentOS 8.2 would be significant? Of course, this statement is coming from someone with minimal device driver development experience.

Any assistance in resolving this issue would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks all for your time; and have a great holiday weekend!

centos_8.2_xrt.png
0 Kudos
2 Replies
freeze
Explorer
Explorer

A quick update -

After diving into the rabbit hole that is CentOS 8.2 and XRT, I have determined that the modifications, other than the previously mentioned driver issue, are too many in number to justify pursuing it any further at this time.

I have now reverted to a CentOS 7.6 installation and have successfully installed and flashed the card.

Expect this thread to be tickled again in the future once support for CentOS 8.2 is a bit more mature.

0 Kudos
freeze
Explorer
Explorer

I revisited CentOS 8.2 following a successful hardware emulation exercise under CentOS 7.6.

As noted in the following thread, related to CentOS 7.6, XRT and associated U50 platforms (or shells) have been updated which will allow for successful emulation and identification of the hardware platform. Hardware testing on my end, for the CentOS 7.6, has yet to be successful.

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Alveo-Accelerator-Cards/Alveo-U50-xbutil-validate-failed/m-p/1125732#M1777

To yield success in Hardware Emulation for the CentOS 8.2 installation, the XRT rpm must be built directly from the git repo master branch.

https://github.com/Xilinx/XRT.git

The results below are the same for CentOS 7.6.

[# krnl]$ cat /etc/centos-release
CentOS Linux release 8.2.2004 (Core)

[# krnl]$ ./host ./build_dir.hw_emu.xilinx_u50_gen3x16_xdma_201920_3/vadd.xclbin
Found Platform
Platform Name: Xilinx
INFO: Reading ./build_dir.hw_emu.xilinx_u50_gen3x16_xdma_201920_3/vadd.xclbin
Loading: './build_dir.hw_emu.xilinx_u50_gen3x16_xdma_201920_3/vadd.xclbin'
Trying to program device[0]: xilinx_u50_gen3x16_xdma_201920_3
INFO: [HW-EM 01] Hardware emulation runs simulation underneath. Using a large data set will result in long simulation times. It is recommended that a small dataset is used for faster execution. The flow uses approximate models for DDR memory and interconnect and hence the performance data generated is approximate.
Device[0]: program successful!
TEST PASSED
INFO::[ Vitis-EM 22 ] [Time elapsed: 0 minute(s) 12 seconds, Emulation time: 0.0878526 ms]
Data transfer between kernel(s) and global memory(s)
krnl_vadd_rtl_1:m_axi_gmem-HBM[0] RD = 2.000 KB WR = 1.000 KB

INFO: [HW-EM 06-0] Waiting for the simulator process to exit
INFO: [HW-EM 06-1] All the simulator processes exited successfully

Now, off to hardware debug and test...

0 Kudos