Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jinseokim804
Visitor
Visitor

Questions on Programming FPGA device for Alveo Custom Flow

Jump to solution

Hello, I recently started to use the Alveo U250 board for custom design (Vivado) flow, and I came up with simple questions that I could not find an answer easily. Clearly I'm very short of understanding basic programming flow with the board, and I appreciate any comments.

1. According to UG1289, Ch. 2, it seems like a programming a custom design to the board always requires using the configuration memory device w/ MCS file and cold reboot of host machine (w/ USB unconnected). What if I just program the device through JTAG w/ both USB and PCIe connected to the host machine? According to UG908, Ch. 6, where states "The Vivado device programmer feature enables you to directly program Xilinx FPGA devices via JTAG. Vivado can also indirectly program select Flash-based configuration memory devices via JTAG.", I can assume that programming the device directly via JTAG is also an alternative option, but it seems like using the configuration memory device is an inevitable step to program FPGA device in the Alveo board. Could you clarify those programming options?

2. I am struggling to implement QDMA IP in the board to test PCIe communication. Is it okay to use the host machine w/ both USB and PCIe connected to the board to program the configuration memory device first, disconnect the USB, and (cold) reboot the host machine to check if it is correctly programmed? I tried to find a solution without connecting/disconnecting USB multiple times throughout debugging but I guess I failed to find one

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dsakjl
Voyager
Voyager

Hi @jinseokim804 ,

I confirm you that:

1) it is possible to program the FPGA using USB-JTAG and WARM reboot;

2) it is NOT necessary to plug/unplug the USB cable at every board programming.

Cheers.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
dsakjl
Voyager
Voyager

Hi @jinseokim804 ,

I'm also interested in your questions.

About the first question, from UG1289 / chapter 3 / "UltraScale+ Device Configuration", it seems possible to program the FPGA using USB-JTAG. However, it is not clear if it is necessary to revert the MCS content to the golden image as in the case of MCS programming.

For the second question, it should not be necessary to plug/unplug the USB cable at every board programming.

Screenshot_2020-11-03_12-52-01.png
dsakjl
Voyager
Voyager

Hi @jinseokim804 ,

I confirm you that:

1) it is possible to program the FPGA using USB-JTAG and WARM reboot;

2) it is NOT necessary to plug/unplug the USB cable at every board programming.

Cheers.

View solution in original post

dsakjl
Voyager
Voyager

Hi @jinseokim804 ,

did you solve your problem?