Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
eryk2303
Observer
Observer

vitis platform for alveo

Jump to solution

Hi,

i would like to ask how to create a platform (in vitis) for Alveo U50. Is there avaiable turorial like this https://github.com/Xilinx/Vitis-Tutorials/blob/master/Vitis_Platform_Creation/Introduction/02-Edge-AI-ZCU104/step1.md but for alveo?

Regards,

Eryk Wawrzyn

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JohnFedakIV

Hi @eryk2303 ,

There are no tutorials similar to the embedded (Zynq/Versal) side for creating a platform on Alveo. An embedded platform is different than an Alveo platform as the embedded platform is self contained with the kernels communicating to the PS as the host.

The Alveo cards require PCIe drivers to bridge the communication between the card and the host machine. XRT provides these drivers (xclmgmt and xocl) so the host application can talk to the provided platforms. In order to create a custom platform that works with Vitis, the card would need to implement the XRT commands that come through PCIe, while this can be done (XRT is open source), there are no provided IPs to implement this.

If you are interested in creating a Vivado design that runs on an Alveo card, I would recommend starting with the CMS IP Example Design (steps to get up and running are outlined in this thread) and the board files will need to be downloaded from the Alveo Vivado Lounge (access can be requested here).

Regards,
~John

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* Please don't forget to reply, kudo and accept as a solution! *

View solution in original post

3 Replies
JohnFedakIV

Hi @eryk2303 ,

There are no tutorials similar to the embedded (Zynq/Versal) side for creating a platform on Alveo. An embedded platform is different than an Alveo platform as the embedded platform is self contained with the kernels communicating to the PS as the host.

The Alveo cards require PCIe drivers to bridge the communication between the card and the host machine. XRT provides these drivers (xclmgmt and xocl) so the host application can talk to the provided platforms. In order to create a custom platform that works with Vitis, the card would need to implement the XRT commands that come through PCIe, while this can be done (XRT is open source), there are no provided IPs to implement this.

If you are interested in creating a Vivado design that runs on an Alveo card, I would recommend starting with the CMS IP Example Design (steps to get up and running are outlined in this thread) and the board files will need to be downloaded from the Alveo Vivado Lounge (access can be requested here).

Regards,
~John

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

eryk2303
Observer
Observer

Hi,

thank you for your reply.

I would like to ask how I can generate an XSA file to add it to vitis.

eryk2303_0-1623400675733.png

Regards,

Eryk

0 Kudos
JohnFedakIV

Hi @eryk2303 ,

This is done in Vivado through File > Export > Export Hardware.

While information is limited for Alveo (because of the challenges mentioned earlier), this is discussed in the Vitis documentation here:
Creating a Hardware Design (XSA File)
Creating a Platform Project from XSA

Regards,
~John

0 Kudos