UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor dfoster
Visitor

Connecting Alveo U250 to ZC706

Jump to solution

I'm interested in interfacing an Alveo U250 board with a ZC706.  SFP seems the best way to do this, but please advise if there's a better method.  Questions I have:

1. The user guide for the U250 states that "QSFP connectors are not supported in the current version of the deployment shell". This sounds to me like the QSFP functionality is not yet implemented on the U250.  Is this understanding correct? (page 3 of https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/data_sheets/ds962-u200-u250.pdf)

2. On that note, the ZC706 only has SFP.  I know adapters exist for interfacing a QSFP to SFP but want to confirm there are no issues here for the U250 to ZC706 interface?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Connecting Alveo U250 to ZC706

Jump to solution

Hi Dfoster,

Below is a link on what we provide for the QSFP interface (page 17).

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/boards_and_kits/accelerator-cards/ug1289-u200-u250-reconfig-accel.pdf

As far as connecting to a zc706, at that point its just an interface. I have never used a QSFP to SFP module like this before, maybe others can chime in. Assuming you are meeting the protocols requirements, i dont see a reason why it wouldn't work. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
5 Replies

Jump to solution

Hi Dfoster,

Below is a link on what we provide for the QSFP interface (page 17).

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/boards_and_kits/accelerator-cards/ug1289-u200-u250-reconfig-accel.pdf

As far as connecting to a zc706, at that point its just an interface. I have never used a QSFP to SFP module like this before, maybe others can chime in. Assuming you are meeting the protocols requirements, i dont see a reason why it wouldn't work. 

Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
Visitor dfoster
Visitor

Jump to solution

Thank you, that was the info I was looking for.

It might be helpful to update the older document I listed above to reflect the fact that the Alveo cards now support the QSFT interface.

0 Kudos
Visitor dfoster
Visitor

Jump to solution

@travisc  I have another question for you.

I'm kind of confused about the I2C mux that seems to be a part of the QSFP circuit.  Does the interface to QSFP require the use of I2C at all?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

According to Wikipedia: "The SFP MSA defines a 256-byte memory map into an EEPROM describing the transceiver's capabilities, standard interfaces, manufacturer, and other information, which is accessible over an I²C interface at the 8-bit address 1010000X (A0h)."

Thanks,
Andres

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Have you seen this Answer Record?:

https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/71981.html

It might be of help.

Thanks,
Andres