UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor sam.suscipio
Visitor

Use of Micro-USB at run time

Jump to solution

I want to use the micro-USB port on an Alveo U200 or U250 to stream a separate, real-time signal directly into its XCU2x0 FPGA.  Using PCIe messages from the server would mess up the real-time determinism here.  The network ports would also be in use.  I would be using SDAccel/Vivado tools to create my own acceleration kernel, which would access this stream.

1. Is this port accessible at run time?
  2. Does having a USB cable permanently connected to the accelerator card cause any problems for boot?
  3. Is there another (perhaps undocumented) port available for this purpose, which would not involve cracking open the accelerator case and voiding the warranty?
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Use of Micro-USB at run time

Jump to solution

Hi @sam.suscipio,

The Micro-USB port on the card is actually a JTAG port to the card -- generally used only with the Vivado Hardware Manager environment.   In the 2018.2 Shells with the card, this JTAG port is not available during active run time.  

For obtaining real-time status of user logic signals on the card itself, I would recommend you use SDAccel Debug via XVC to obtain real-time, user logic information.   This is a communication channel wherein you can add debug probes into your user design, and then the values within the logic analysis are sent to a Vivado Hardware Manager instance on your local machine via a virtual cable.  This is very similar to the traditional Integrated Logic Analyzer (ILA) via JTAG capability, but does not require a direct physical connection to the board. 

Please note that having the JTAG cable attached to HW Manager during a power-cycle will prevent the card image from loading correctly. 

If you are looking for a side-band (non-PCIe) way to stream data onto the card - maybe if you can describe more about your desired application, we may be able to assist in finding a solution. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
2 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @sam.suscipio,

The Micro-USB port on the card is actually a JTAG port to the card -- generally used only with the Vivado Hardware Manager environment.   In the 2018.2 Shells with the card, this JTAG port is not available during active run time.  

For obtaining real-time status of user logic signals on the card itself, I would recommend you use SDAccel Debug via XVC to obtain real-time, user logic information.   This is a communication channel wherein you can add debug probes into your user design, and then the values within the logic analysis are sent to a Vivado Hardware Manager instance on your local machine via a virtual cable.  This is very similar to the traditional Integrated Logic Analyzer (ILA) via JTAG capability, but does not require a direct physical connection to the board. 

Please note that having the JTAG cable attached to HW Manager during a power-cycle will prevent the card image from loading correctly. 

If you are looking for a side-band (non-PCIe) way to stream data onto the card - maybe if you can describe more about your desired application, we may be able to assist in finding a solution. 

Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
Visitor sam.suscipio
Visitor

Jump to solution

Thanks @bethe for the quick answers.  I will message you on our application privately.

0 Kudos