UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Participant namabo
Participant

VCU1525 how to program from Vivavo

Jump to solution

Hi,

I have a VCU1525 board, I would like to program it by Vivado,

Can I supply it externally without attach it to the PCI?

How to flash the bitstream form Vivado? The Micro-Usb port is the right one?

Very basic questions...

Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: VCU1525 how to program from Vivavo

Jump to solution

Hi @ddn @namabo ,

You can program the VCU1525 via JTAG (micro-USB) per the instructions provided in UG1268 - VCU1525 User's Guide, and the (UG908) Vivado Programming and Debugging.  This is an alterative path to using the XRT environment.  Please note that once you have programmed away from the Shell, the XRT environment will no longer connect to the card.

------------------------------

Ensuring I understand your question - if you were speaking to powering separately:

The VCU1525 needs to be supplied from the PCI Express card slot power, and can have *additional* power provide via a PCIe Auxiliary 6 or 8 pin connection to the chasis power.  

DO NOT USE an ATX12V or EPS12V connection as this is NOT pin compatible to the PCIe Auxiliary 6 or 8 pin connection.   Please see Xilinx Answer 72298 for this.

While our other development boards are able to bench power, the VCU1525 and Alveo Data Center Accelerator Cards are dependent on PCIe Power.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
7 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

NA

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @ddn @namabo ,

You can program the VCU1525 via JTAG (micro-USB) per the instructions provided in UG1268 - VCU1525 User's Guide, and the (UG908) Vivado Programming and Debugging.  This is an alterative path to using the XRT environment.  Please note that once you have programmed away from the Shell, the XRT environment will no longer connect to the card.

------------------------------

Ensuring I understand your question - if you were speaking to powering separately:

The VCU1525 needs to be supplied from the PCI Express card slot power, and can have *additional* power provide via a PCIe Auxiliary 6 or 8 pin connection to the chasis power.  

DO NOT USE an ATX12V or EPS12V connection as this is NOT pin compatible to the PCIe Auxiliary 6 or 8 pin connection.   Please see Xilinx Answer 72298 for this.

While our other development boards are able to bench power, the VCU1525 and Alveo Data Center Accelerator Cards are dependent on PCIe Power.

Participant namabo
Participant

Jump to solution

Thank you @bethe ,

So if I understand:

1) I cannot connect standalone with an external Power supply the Board

2) The board has to be connected to e PCI express slot and supplied with the additional wire (following the cautions reported in the Xilinx Answer 72298).

That's ok,

Then I have another dubt, in the UG1268 v1.5 pag 14-15, there is a list of the leds available to monitor the status, where can I find the meaning of the DS3 leds?

It is reported to see in the BSP. What does it mean? Where I can find the BSP?

Best Regards

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @namabo 

The DS3 LEDs are user (FPGA) controlled.  

The BSP is typically a Board Support Platform - for the VCU1525, there are 2 supported flows:

1) SDAccel Platform - the HW is built in to the VCU1525 Shell available here:

https://www.xilinx.com/products/boards-and-kits/vcu1525-a.html#gettingStarted

This is then used to create custom acceleration platforms in SDAccel, and interacted with via XRT.

2) Vivado Flow - The board file is available in Vivado when selecting the VCU1525 - this provides connectivity to user HW directly from the IPI Board tab, and can be directly enabled on an IPI design by drag-and-drop.

0 Kudos
Participant namabo
Participant

Jump to solution

Hi @bethe ,

sorry If I'm adding a tail to a resolved post,

however I need just a confirmation, about the flashing process of VCU1525 from Vivado, I red this post:

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Configuration/Vivado-programming-not-recognizing-FTDI-FT4232-JTAG-for-Kintex/m-p/916713?advanced=false&collapse_discussion=true&q=vcu1525%20usb&search_type=thread

And it's clear I need the Xilinx Programmer.

Which is the part number of the Xilinx Programmer I have to buy. Could you provide me a link?

On digilent website:

https://store.digilentinc.com/jtag-programmers-fpga-programming-solutions/

I can't find the right one (or I can't recognize the right one, I don't know).

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @namabo,

I have read the forum post referenced, and it isn't saying that you need the programmer.  The customer was looking to design their own card that wouldn't require it, and wanted the reference to the VCU1525 design.

The micro-USB to JTAG circuit is specifically designed in the VCU1525 so as to use the cable delivered in the box, connected to a standard PC or server.  Then using Vivado HW manager, you should be able to connect to the card and see the FPGA device.  If you are not seeing this in Vivado HW Manager, please ensure that your cable drivers are correctly installed (not automatic in Linux installations) and that the USB based device is detected by your OS. 

0 Kudos
Participant namabo
Participant

Jump to solution

Hi @bethe 

thank you for your reply, I installed the drivers and I'm able to program from HW Manager, with the usb cable.

Thank you for your support.

Regards.

0 Kudos