UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Administrator
Administrator

Community Forums 2018 redesign feedback

Hi all,

We have created this thread to help collect all the technical feedback in one place to make it easier for tracking. Please let us know of any issues you spot on this thread.

Cheers,

Stacia

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution
0 Kudos
45 Replies
Voyager
Voyager

Re: Community Forums 2018 redesign feedback

@stacias  "Please let us know of any issues you spot"

Here's to hoping Xilinx left a link to the usable "classic" version, as this is an epic fail...

Forums are used for detailed technical discussions, with long paragraphs and attached diagrams, not for tweeting from a mobile phone in 140 characters or less.

This redesign has made the forums virtually unusable on a PC web browser:

- the outline view of the forums has been reduced to a tiny sidebar

- only five posts at a time can be seen without clicking "Load More" repeatedly

- the interface crams content into a tiny central region, no matter the actual browser window width

- posts are difficult to read, and stretched into oblivion, especially with screenshots/diagrams

-Brian

Administrator
Administrator

Hello @brimdavis,

Thank you for your feedback. Please see my comments below:

Forums are used for detailed technical discussions, with long paragraphs and attached diagrams, not for tweeting from a mobile phone in 140 characters or less.

We have a lot of requests for mobile usage. There is no set character limit on mobile posts but if have trouble posting, please let us know.

This horrendous forum redesign has made the forums virtually unusable on a PC web browser:

- the outline view of the forums has been reduced to a tiny sidebar

There is also the Menu located on the upper-left of screen that shows the community structure.

- only five posts at a time can be seen without clicking "Load More" repeatedly

Would 10 post be better?

- the interface crams content into a tiny central region, no matter the actual browser window width

I am not able to reproduce this issue. Can you please provide a screenshot?

- posts are difficult to read, and stretched into oblivion, especially with screenshots/diagrams

I am not able to reproduce this issue? Can you please provide a screenshot?

Again, thank you for your patience as we work out the kinks.

Stacia

0 Kudos
Scholar jmcclusk
Scholar

Here's an example of a post that's now hard to read.    I posted a big chunk of source code in an <insert code> box...  and the box is far too narrow now to read the code...  and although the code box has a slider at the bottom...  it's way out of reach on such a long piece of code.      My intent was to make it easy for people to cut and paste the code into their own designs...

I don't see any rational reason to limit the width of a code box to such a narrow width.

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Synthesis/How-to-do-rational-division-of-a-clock-to-generate-a-clock/m-p/844672

Don't forget to close a thread when possible by accepting a post as a solution.
Administrator
Administrator

Thank you for the example. Very helpful. I will investigate the issue, and update post when done.

Cheers,

Stacia

0 Kudos
Scholar richardhead
Scholar

I have a 1440p screen. The forum uses about a third of the screen

Cutting code off like @jmcclusk seems very annoying.

Be careful you dont kill your support community like Intel just did with their forum re-design.

0 Kudos
Scholar markcurry
Scholar

I'm also missing the front page view that shows that status of all new post (and kudos) in all forums.  A quick scan at the top level, and I can see which forum (that I'm interest in) has more activity.  Now I'm forced to click into every sub-topic one at a time.

This sort of things is common on sites that are paid by click.  There's no reason for this sort of thing on a a technical forums such as these.

And very much boo on the "mobile friendly" views.  So much space wasted on my large 23 inch desktop monitor...  I've you're bent on providing a mobile interface then redirect those users to a mobile optimized site. Leave us desktop users alone...

--Mark

Explorer
Explorer

Did anyone bother testing with Chrome???

It is literally unusable.  Trying to scroll down in the main page results in a very hard "rebound" after about 1 topic(about 10% of the window scroll bar), resulting the entire window shaking so badly the text is unreadable and then returning to the top

Voyager
Voyager

@stacias 

>>- the interface crams content into a tiny central region, no matter the actual browser window width

> I am not able to reproduce this issue. Can you please provide a screenshot?

Reproducible on two Win7 PC's, in both IE and FireFox:

vivado_forums.jpg

>> - only five posts at a time can be seen without clicking "Load More" repeatedly

>Would 10 post be better?

Manually setting this value higher (My Preferences=>Settings=>Linear Layout=>Linear Format: Topics per page) doesn't help, as only approximately the first six posts appear on a 2560x1600 monitor due to the tiny central column, as seen above.

As to why this matters: the main problem in forum style support is that once something has disappeared from the "top N" visible posts, it is unlikely to get attention unless somebody stumbles across it during a search. By reducing N to 5, along with eliminating the previous detailed outline navigation view, Xilinx has made it highly unlikely that posts will be seen and answered by forum visitors.

A modern desktop PC with a large monitor could easily display 50+ topics, if formatted *ONE PER LINE*  in a horizontal format with status/posts/etc across the width of the brower window.

Additionally, as seen in my attempts to manually edit quotations inline above, the new editor seems stuck in an "HTML" or "smart" mode, wherein one can not add a CR without "breaking" to a new paragraph, which makes it difficult to compose decently formatted and readable messages.

-Brian

Scholar markcurry
Scholar

Where's the "notifications" link?

i.e. the link I can click so I can see status of all threads I'm subscribed to?

It used to be front-and-center - easy to find from any view.

Now, I can't find it at all.

I don't mind the email notifications I receive, but because of security concerns on my local end, the embeded links aren't clickable.  So when I receive an email notifying me about an updated subscription, I usually just navigate over to my "notifications" link.  Which appears to be gone/buried somewhere...

Thanks,

Mark

Administrator
Administrator

Thank you for all the feedback. Reporting bugs and providing helpful actionable feedback that can improve the over-all member experience is helpful for everyone. I've captured the reported bugs and will investigate to see what can be improved.

Change is hard but we will get there. Thank you for your support and patience as we work to improve our community forums.

A few tips that may solve some of the issues you are seeing...

1. Clear your browsers cache. Xilinx.com was also updated today, so there may be some residual conflicts happening.
  2. Community Forums is optimized to be viewed at 100% screen resolution. Anything smaller than that will reduce size of content to middle of screen.
0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

@stacias  "Community Forums is optimized to be viewed at 100% screen resolution. Anything smaller than that will reduce size of content to middle of screen."

The problem is still evident at 100% in FireFox:

vivado_forums2.jpg

Very few technical users that I know would run their desktop-with-large-monitor browsers at 100%,  barring any eyesight impairments - 60% to 80% is more common.

-Brian

0 Kudos
Administrator
Administrator

@markcurry Are you viewing through mobile or desktop? On desktop, the notifications are located at the top of page next to Forums sign-in. Subscriptions are at the bottom of homepage and under My Profile.
0 Kudos
Scholar markcurry
Scholar

I'm a desktop only user.

Found it - The notifications is the "Bell" Icon near the top right, for anyone else looking....(Yes seems obvious in hindsight...)

Thanks,

Mark

0 Kudos
Historian
Historian

I'm afraid I have to agree.

The new format is WAY less dense - even on the desktop view there is almost no information on a single screen.

The header and introduction information on a board are now so long that you cannot see any actual posts in the first screen - take a look at the Timing Analysis forum - I need to scroll down to see the first post, and then I get 8 posts on a screen. The area for the titles is so narrow that I can only see the first approximately 40 characters of the title and nothing at all from the content.

The posts themselves now appear to use 1.5 line spacing between paragraphs, and a larger font. All existing posts (where the user would insert a blank line between paragraphs) there are now the equivalent of 3 lines between paragraphs, making all posts extremely sparse vertically, and making any bullet pointed lists (in the old format bullet lists had to be done manually) look ridiculous. Horizontally, both when composing and reading an existing post, only small percentage of the screen width is used for the actual post - on my wide screen monitor it is well less than 1/2 of the horizontal width.

On the main page, none of the useful stuff is at the top. Instead of the Recent Activity being at the top, the "New Solutions" are there - you have to scroll down for the "Recent Activity". Furthermore,  I still haven't found the link for the my profile (where I can see my posts), notifications and the private messages. [Oh wait - I see them now they are Icons with no text until you mouse over them - a bell, an envelope and a small portion of your avatar]. I still haven't found the tags (at all - do we still have tags?).

The mobile view is even worse. There is literally no information on a single screen - you need to scroll and scroll and scroll to read anything... Tons of real estate are used for the "buttons" at the bottom of each post (Kudos, share, reply, quick reply). And really - the 1.5 line spacing between paragraphs MUST GO - it's even more irksome in the mobile format.

The forums are for the exchange of data - the posts are technical and complicated. When the information is so spread out, it becomes hard to follow - you spend more time scrolling than reading....

Avrum

Scholar richardhead
Scholar

Same wasted space on chrome 1440p:

screen.PNG

0 Kudos

Hi all,

Thank you for all the feedback.

I am replying to this topic to make sure it is still visible from the main page ;)

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
0 Kudos
Visitor yys@n
Visitor

As a new user who knows decidedly nothing, I have to agree that I'm not a very big fan of this redesign. I don't understand the desire of forums to make these modern mobile-oriented redesigns that waste space, look bad, and are disliked by the majority of their userbase.

I think the issues with how much unnecessary space the design takes up and how thin the actual posts are have been mentioned, so I won't retread covered ground there. Instead, I'd like to give my opinion that the redesign just looks downright bland. There's no variation in background color, so everything is just endless text to scroll through - a long monolith of black text on a white background. The old design at least has the topic header (with a gray background) to break up the posts a little. Have you ever tried to load a webpage, but it messes up and doesn't load the CSS so all the text is kind of just dumped there? That's what it feels like.

Printing is also worse with the redesign, as you're forced to choose between a small, narrow pillar of text (where 2/3rds of your paper is wasted on 4 inch wide margins on the left and right side), or using twice the amount of paper of the same sized message (this post, for example, which had previously taken me only three pages to print, would now take six).

The only real solution needed for this would be to have an option to re-enable the old ("classic") design. Ideally, the old design would stay as the desktop design, while the new design would be relegated to the realm of mobile (though I've seen people claim this design doesn't work well on mobile either, so that would have to be fixed).

0 Kudos
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

More screen space taken up,  lots more gaps, 

more gloss , less info 

Assume you paid a graphics designer a lump of money, using a big screen MAC to design this,

might take some time to get used to !

0 Kudos
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

@stacia how about adding option vote, for and against the change.
I know it wont get changed, you have put too much time / money into the changes, but

All we can do at the moment is vote up if we ageee with peoples comment son the forums, not vote down if we dis agree.
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

I agree @markcury , I also can't click on links in emails, so have to browse to the forums / recent links,

New design seems to have taken all we super users when asked said not to do and done, and all we asked to do, and not done.. Dahh It would make a great comedy if it was not so sad.
0 Kudos
Scholar markcurry
Scholar

Ok - next question - how do I mark all post in a specific forum as "read"?

This used to be at the top of the index.  

I now see under "Quick links" how to mark all post (in all forums) as "read".  But no longer can puzzle out how to mark just the specific sub-forums as "read".

I know it's probably staring at me somewhere... But I don't see it.

Regards,

Mark

0 Kudos
Administrator
Administrator

Hi @markcurry

When you are on a board page in the right top corner there is a menu (see below) that allows you to mark all posts as read. Is this what you are looking for?

11-9-2018 10-38-32 AM.png

0 Kudos
Scholar markcurry
Scholar

Yep that's what I was looking for.  As I said, I knew it had to be there somewhere.  Probably staring me in the face - as it was.

Thanks,

Mark

0 Kudos
Scholar markcurry
Scholar

Back to general design feedback.

The main landing page for the forums is really useless.  I've gone into my settings to try and edit my layout, with no help.

Having the main frames be first "New Solutions", then secondly "Community Activity" is useless.  The overall forums are too large and diverse to have any utility of just highlighting the overall top hits.  There's too many topics.

The main window should be moved back to the forums browser - which is now relegated to a side window.  This browser should be placed back as the main window, with the other frames relegated back to the side.

Further, even if I open up all the tabs on the browser (so I can see all the sub-forums), I no longer have a summary available.  Maybe even something a simple as making the font Bold on forums that have new posts.  I'd really like to see number of new posts as a summary in the browser.  

At this point could I just suggest of perhaps allowing the users the ability to completely turn off "New Solutions" and "Community Activity" and make those frames go away?  Perhaps even "Top Solution Authors" too.  I liked this latter one as a nice to glance at, but as it is now with the new redesign, it's just taking up too much screen real-estate

Regards,

Mark

0 Kudos
Administrator
Administrator

Thank you for all the feedback and providing such detailed information.

I've cataloged all the actionable feedback provided so far (below at a very high-level), and we are working through the list.

1. Too much white space
  2. Not sure where to find Notifications, My Profile, Messages etc.
  3. Font size too large
  4. Want Recent Posts/Community Activity back at top of page
  5. # of Posts visible on screen is not enough. Should be 20 or more
  6. Announcement information on boards too long – must scroll to see posts
  7. Formatting 1.5 space between paragraphs to much
  8. Formatting on “old” posts: Line spacing between paragraphs was 1.5 and is now 3.0
  9. <insert code> box... box is far too narrow now to read the code even with slider at the bottom with long piece of code.  Example: ttps://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Synthesis/How-to-do-rational-division-of-a-clock-to-generate-a-clock/m-p/844672

White space example:

vivado_forums.jpg

Please let me know if I've missed anything. And keep that feedback coming!

0 Kudos
Scholar markcurry
Scholar

Continuing on with my feedback.  Navigating to the "Design Tools" sub-forum.  Again the main landing page is useless.  I'm presented with a "Welcome" message, and an "In This Category" frame.   

I've been in this forum thousands of times.  I don't need this info.  Users will want to read this info likely once. 

So, my main landing page is again useless.  I need to scroll to get to anything useful.

Perhaps consider placing this information in a "Sticky" post within the forum itself  New users would get these items as unread, and near the top of the Activity.  The rest of us, having already read this, would see the (marginally) more useful "Category Activity" near the top, without needing to scroll.

Same goes for the final leaf forums - i.e. landing on "Synthesis" all I see is "Announcements" - which I've read thousands of times.  I need to again, scroll down to get anything useful.  Move "Announcements" to a sticky post.

Regards,

Mark

forums_pict4.png

0 Kudos
Historian
Historian

I finally found "My tags" - You need to click on your avatar -> My settings -> Tagging -> Tags (please let me know if there is a faster way to get there).

I have around 350 tags. In the previous layout I had three screens worth of tags (the third had only a few). I use tags primarily to get links to my previous posts (when a new question is similar to a previous one). But I never remember "exactly" what the tag is - I usually know only some likely keywords in the tag. So to find the post I first need to find the tag.

To do this I would go to my list of tags and use the browser search (ctrl-f) to find the tag based on what I thought some of the words of the tag were - typing a few characters was usually enough to find it. Furthermore, since all tags on one page were visible at the same time, the browser search would highlight all the tags that match the word - it was very easy from there to find the tag I want.  I might need to click "next" once or (rarely) twice to search the pages of the lesser used tags.

Now I have eighteen pages of tags, at 20 per page. Furthermore, of the 20 on a page, only 13 are visible at one time (without scrolling) due to the amount of white space between tags. This is a pretty huge step backwards in terms of efficiency... I will need to go to each page of the tags, re-enter the search, and scroll through the 20 on that page before moving on...

Avrum

0 Kudos
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

On basis that the most important things on web pages are put at the top of page one,

Xilinx now think the name community forum and the number of members on line is the most important,

this is my opening page,  I have to scroll down to see anything half useful ,

Xilinx front page.JPG

0 Kudos
Administrator
Administrator

@avrumw I'll take a look at the Tags to see what we can improve. Thanks for the feedback.

0 Kudos