Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Instructor
Instructor

another minor text formatting tweak for Alexis

Jump to solution

Alexis, here's yet another text formatting quirk:

Often when writing a post, blank lines will be inserted for readability purposes.  When editing posts, I've noticed that blank lines (in the editing window) have a <space> character added to the blank lines.

On the scale of world events, I rate this as a "0.5 on the 1-to-100 scale of urgency".  Thought you might find it interesting, as long as you are already mucking about in the wonderful world of online text formatting.

As before:  Mozilla 4.something, WinVista x64, beer of choice is Terminator Stout.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hello Bob,

I'll add this one to the formatting issues queue. The others you have reported are being worked on. Thank you for reporting this issue.

Best,

Alexis

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Highlighted
Instructor
Instructor

Just so you know, I tried an "edit" of first post in this thread, and my described incidence of spurious superfluous surplus spaces has indeed surfaced again.  It's a good thing this forum has an ample supply.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Teacher
Teacher
Some uncharitable people might describe a few of the posters as "wastes of space".

;-)

------------------------------------------
"If it don't work in simulation, it won't work on the board."
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hello Bob,

I'll add this one to the formatting issues queue. The others you have reported are being worked on. Thank you for reporting this issue.

Best,

Alexis

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Instructor
Instructor

Alexis,

As far as I'm concerned, none of the formatting issues are 'show-stoppers'.  The forum website is designed well enough to do its job quite well.  The formatting issues are minor inconveniences which can be overcome without much effort.

Don't let these nits cast a shadow on the good work which you and your colleagues have done, and are doing.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:

Summary:
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Instructor
Instructor

Followup:

When editing a post, blank lines are 'given' a <space> character.

When editing a post which has already been edited, a second <space> character is NOT added.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:

Summary:
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Thank you for the follow-up. Please let me know if you are seeing this in other browsers you may use?

I am unable to replicate the blank lines you are seeing or the <space> character in the editing window. I have tested with Firefox 5, Chrome 12, Internet Explorer 8, and Safari 5 running Windows 7.

Best,

Alexis

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Instructor
Instructor

I see identical behaviour in Firefox 4.01 and IE9.

The post being edited is the first post in this thread.

The post was first edited and saved to remove any <space> characters in the 4 blank lines in the text.

The post was re-opened for editing, in both Firefox 4.01 and IE9.  In both browsers, the 4 blank lines each included a single <space> character.

Firefox screenshot

screenshot firefox4.jpg

IE9 screenshot

screenshot ie9.jpg

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:

Summary:
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi Bob,

This is fantastic, thank you for the screen captures. I will further investigate.

Best,

Alexis

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi Bob,

Unfortunately this is another instance of an issue that will take longer to fix.

We opened a case with our forums vendor on this issue but unfortunately it will not be addressed in the near future. Due to a current bug backlog there is no scheduled timeline for a fix on their end. But a bug report has been filed against the system.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Best,

Alexis

0 Kudos