UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

Visitor
Accepted Solution

Shared BSCAN chain

Hi guys,

I am working on a cross-over project, where I use a MicroBlaze, implemented in XPS, and then moving it to ISE in order to connect it with some of my custom-made vhdl-modules.

What I would like to do now (even though I know it's hard) - is to be able to use the mdm debug module along with chipscope (instantiated in ISE). I don't need to use them "simultaneously", but I would like them to share the BSCAN chain (like user2 or something), so I wouldn't have to remove the mdm module from the project each time I want to use chipscope, and vice versa.

Is this somehow possible?

Thanks in advance!

/KP

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee

Re: Shared BSCAN chain

Yes you are on the right path.

If you are having trouble figuring out the connection you can create an example design with an MDM and add a Chipscope ICON (inside of EDK).  On the ICON core you will add the C_SYSTEM_CONTAINS_MDM = 1 parameter so it hooks the JTAG signals from ICON to the MDM.  You can then look at <project_name>.vhd in your the hdl directory of your EDK project to see how it hooked it up from the ICON to the MDM.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Xilinx Employee

Yes it is possible, the BSCAN block will be inside of the MDM.  So you will need to port the BSCAN pins (ie tdi, tdo, etc) down to your EDK system and then hook them up to the BSCAN pins on the MDM.
Visitor

Yes, I thought that would be the way to go. But I haven't been succesful in porting the pins (tdi, etc.) from the ICON core to either a top-level stub or creating a symbol for it to put in a top-level schematic.

Am I on the right path, or?

Thanks for the reply ;-)

/KP

Xilinx Employee

Yes you are on the right path.

If you are having trouble figuring out the connection you can create an example design with an MDM and add a Chipscope ICON (inside of EDK).  On the ICON core you will add the C_SYSTEM_CONTAINS_MDM = 1 parameter so it hooks the JTAG signals from ICON to the MDM.  You can then look at <project_name>.vhd in your the hdl directory of your EDK project to see how it hooked it up from the ICON to the MDM.

Visitor

hi,

I meet the same trouble, and followed your suggestion to add "PARAMETER C_SYSTEM_CONTAINS_MDM = 1" in the chipscope_icon module. 

The result is also:

EDK:4180 - PORT: tdi_in, CONNECTOR: bscan_tdi - No driver found. Port will be driven to GND - F:\Xilinx\14.4\ISE_DS\EDK\hw\XilinxProcessorIPLib\pcores\chipscope_icon_v1_06_a\data\chipscope_icon_v2_1_0.mpd line 101
WARNING:EDK:4180 - PORT: reset_in, CONNECTOR: bscan_reset - No driver found. Port will be driven to GND - F:\Xilinx\14.4\ISE_DS\EDK\hw\XilinxProcessorIPLib\pcores\chipscope_icon_v1_06_a\data\chipscope_icon_v2_1_0.mpd line 102
WARNING:EDK:4180 - PORT: shift_in, CONNECTOR: bscan_shift - No driver found. Port will be driven to GND - F:\Xilinx\14.4\ISE_DS\EDK\hw\XilinxProcessorIPLib\pcores\chipscope_icon_v1_06_a\data\chipscope_icon_v2_1_0.mpd line 103
WARNING:EDK:4180 - PORT: update_in, CONNECTOR: bscan_update - No driver found. Port will be driven to GND - F:\Xilinx\14.4\ISE_DS\EDK\hw\XilinxProcessorIPLib\pcores\chipscope_icon_v1_06_a\data\chipscope_icon_v2_1_0.mpd line 104
WARNING:EDK:4180 - PORT: sel_in, CONNECTOR: bscan_sel1 - No driver found. Port will be driven to GND - F:\Xilinx\14.4\ISE_DS\EDK\hw\XilinxProcessorIPLib\pcores\chipscope_icon_v1_06_a\data\chipscope_icon_v2_1_0.mpd line 105
WARNING:EDK:4180 - PORT: drck_in, CONNECTOR: bscan_drck1 - No driver found. Port will be driven to GND - F:\Xilinx\14.4\ISE_DS\EDK\hw\XilinxProcessorIPLib\pcores\chipscope_icon_v1_06_a\data\chipscope_icon_v2_1_0.mpd line 106
WARNING:EDK:4180 - PORT: capture_in, CONNECTOR: bscan_capture - No driver found. Port will be driven to GND - F:\Xilinx\14.4\ISE_DS\EDK\hw\XilinxProcessorIPLib\pcores\chipscope_icon_v1_06_a\data\chipscope_icon_v2_1_0.mpd line 107
WARNING:EDK:4180 - PORT: Bus_Error_Det, CONNECTOR: mb_plb_Bus_Error_Det - No driver found. Port will be driven to GND - F:\Xilinx\14.4\ISE_DS\EDK\hw\XilinxProcessorIPLib\pcores\chipscope_plbv46_iba_v1_03_a\data\chipscope_plbv46_iba_v2_1_0.mpd line 158

is there any problem?