UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

Visitor

problem with a NGO file

Hello all,

i am trying to instanciate a MAC IP from MoreThanIP in ISE 8.2. MoreThanIP provides this MAC as a .ngo file and when i try to synthesize it , there is a message error :"Failed to create the command line for XST. One or more procedures reported errors."

I don't understand. Is it possible to compile an .ngo file? Did I forget something?

Thanks for your answers.

jonathan
Xilinx Employee

Re: problem with a NGO file

Jonathon,

An ngo file is a netlist and is already compiled into the device technology (not unlike an EDIF or ngc).
It is a mechanism some vendors use to distribute IP without providing HDL source.

I am not familiar with this particular IP, but usually when IP is distributed in a netlist, they will offer an HDL (VHDL and/or Verilog) instantiation template.
The core will then be black-boxed in your top-level netlist as you don't have the source.

You'll then want to make sure the translate/ngdbuild can find the core netlist to merge it into your design during implementation. You can do this by:
1) copying the core's ngo file to your implementation directory
2) configuring translate (via the macro search path)/ngdbuild (via the -sd switch) to look in another directory where the netlist is located.

Cheers,
bt
Observer

Re: problem with a NGO file

Hi,

When I get ngo file compiled for non-Xilinx device, is there any chance to make it work for some Xilinx device? Are there any translators or smth similar? I suppose it is impossible to do that, since creating ngo file is a way of protecting HDL source by IP distributor.

Regards,

Milos