UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

Check FIFO occupancy from PL?

Highlighted
Observer

Check FIFO occupancy from PL?

I would like a way to check the amount of data in an AXI-Stream FIFO from PL. Without seeing any flags I can pull out from block customization my initial instinct would be to sniff the handshaking going on between it and the downstream block. The only problem is as long as the valid and ready flags remain asserted there doesn't seem to be a way to check how much data is actually being transferred... The downstream block is xilinx ip as well so I don't have any way to add a register simply to keep count of data out.

End goal is send an interrupt when the fifo hits some threshold value. Any ideas?

Explorer

Re: Check FIFO occupancy from PL?

When you customize the FIFO in the IP catalog, the Config tab allows you to set up programmable full and empty thresholds. There's also a checkbox for a FIFO occupancy count. Those can be routed to the PL.

---

Joe

Observer

I was using the AXI4-Stream Data FIFO block which didn't have these options. I found them in the FIFO Generator block -- thanks!

Observer

Ah I realized why I wasn't using this... My goal is to stream data into the block but then be able to pull it out with AXI4-Lite. The FIFO Generator core doesn't seem to provide that option... Is there a way around?
Explorer

I think your only choice is to design a custom AXI-Lite interface. 

---

Joe

Observer

Which leads me to the original question. I could bypass this if there was a way for me to sniff how many transactions were happening between the two stream cores. If TREADY and TVALID remain valid over multiple transactions I don't think there is any reasonable way to achieve this? The only thing I can think of to monitor is if TVALID will drop low for a single cycle after each transaction so I can keep count but I don't believe that's how the AXI-Stream interface works -- It'll always be high if there is data buffered waiting to be sent out.

Perhaps the only way would be to make an IP Core that will send a request over the AXI-Lite protocol to the FIFO to request data from the Receive Length Register (RLR)...
Observer

Of course if I did this then the FIFO would need to AXI lines -- one for me to check status on and a final one to pull the data out back to the ARM Cores. I know there must be a more reasonable way -- I'm completely over thinking this.

Explorer

The AXI-Lite interface is typically used as a simple way to read and write control registers within an IP. It performs the same function as the IPIF in ISE's EDK. If I understand what you're  want, you'd design it with 2 registers: one that allows the PS to read the occupancy count and the TREADY bit, and one that read and shifts out the FIFO. Remember that the occupancy count can also be routed to the PL by making the signal external.

---

Joe

Observer

Hey Joseph,

I don't think I made my problem clear enough, we seem to be circling it :)

From the PS I would like to be able to pull data out from the FIFO (AXI4-Lite); which is trivial to implement. In addition to that the data being pushed into the FIFO needs to come from an AXI-Stream interface. The tricky part is  I only want to read from the FIFO after some expected amount has been dumped into it. Three ways to monitor this are via polling (which I don't want to do), using the Receive Fifo Programable Full Threshold value but this number is subject to constant change so cannot be set statically in the IP, or generating an interrupt when it hits this value by calculating it externally and monitoring the occupancy of the FIFO. The only appropriate way to do this for my application is via the interrupt.

My options using Xilinx IP are : AXI-Stream FIFO, AXI4-Stream Data FIFO, and FIFO Generator.

AXI-Stream FIFO : offers AXI4-Lite PS interface however does NOT have an option to read the occupancy count.

AXI4_Stream Data FIFO : doesn't offer using AXI4-Lite but DOES have the occupancy count

FIFO Generator : Identical to AXI4-Stream Data FIFO wrt the parameters needed (no axi4-lite -> axi-stream but does have occupancy)

So essentially my two options are implement an AXI4-Lite <--> AXI-Stream interface or somehow monitor the number of transactions that are entering the stream fifo in order to determine occupancy. The problem is i'm not sure if the latter is even achievable since if both up and downstream modules are fully pipelined the TVALID and TREADY flags will remain asserted after each transaction masking the number of transactions actually occurring...

My ideal situation would be if the AXI-Stream FIFO offered a PL routed occupancy register but they don't which is making this a nightmare.

Thanks for the help !

Explorer

Yes, it looks like there isn't quite the combination of interfaces to drop into your design neatly. I took a glance at the AXI-Stream FIFO, and while it does have an AXI_Lite interface on one side, the other side isn't just an AXI Stream; it looks like it's made to attach to another IP, probably the Ethernet IP that is referenced in the product guide. 

Maybe look at an AXI Memory Mapped to Stream Mapper and an AXI protocol converter (or two)?

---

Joe