UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor
Contributor

Latency Error in FIFO generator IP

hello

I am using Vivado 2016.4 and FIFO Generator 13.1.

When I try to generate FIFOs using the options

• independent write-read clocks for Block RAMs
  • enabled standard FIFO
  • enabled output registers using
  • enabled "Embedded Reg AND Fabric Reg"

the IP graphical user interface reflects a read latency of 2 clock cycles.

Actually since 2 levels of more pipeline stages are added in this case the total read latency becomes 3 clock cycles.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Scholar dpaul24
Scholar

Re: Latency Error in FIFO generator IP

It is because you have enabled 'Output Registers'.

Uncheck the box beside 'Output Registers', keeping only 'Embedded Registers' visible from the drop-down. Your Read Latency value will then decrease.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FPGA enthusiast!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

I think you do not understand the problem.

If we use built in FIFO we have 1 clock cycle latency.

If we use built in FIFO with enabled output registers and enabled "Embedded Reg" we have 2 clock cycles latency.

If we use built in FIFO with enabled output registers and enabled "Fabric Reg" we have 2 clock cycles latency.

If we use built in FIFO with enabled output registers and enabled "Embedded Reg AND Fabric Reg" we have 3 clock cycles latency.

However the graphical user interface of IP generator shows 2 clock cycles latency for the latter case.

0 Kudos
Scholar dpaul24
Scholar

Now your explanation is clear and I also see it in one of my FIFOs.

Have you chosen a Block RAM based FIFO?

As I have never used a combination of both of them, so on checking the documentation, FIFO Generator v13.1 PG057 April 5, 2017, Pg# 118, I see that....

For standard BRAM FIFOs, a latency of two cycles is added to the output when both registers are chosen as shown in Figure 3-21

The safest way would be to run a simulation of both type of FIFOs and see the latency at the output.

FPGA enthusiast!
0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Yes. As I wrote in my first message I used Black RAM FIFOs for transferring data from one clock domain to the other.

The problem in the user intarface must be fixed. Actually, I do not know the situation in the newest version.

I checked the latency of 3 clock cycles in hardware without problem.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @fatih.aydogdu

This is IP GUI display issue, I have filed CR 982775 to get this corrected.

Thanks,
Deepika.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Google your question before posting. If someone's post answers your question, mark the post as answer with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (the star on the left)
0 Kudos