UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

Not getting outputs from SDP-BRAM in simulations

Highlighted
Visitor

Not getting outputs from SDP-BRAM in simulations

I am trying to get a SDP BRAM to simulate correctly in Vivado 2017.3. My aim is to write 1,2,3,4,.. to a BRAM of depth 16. Once the address reaches 1111, I want to start reading the BRAM and expect its output to go 1,2,3,4,... The issue is that the output is stuck at 0 and I dont know if there is an issue in the way I am setting read/write enable signals or something else. 

Below is the way I have instantiated the BRAM and the simulations show all important signals. Currently I have connected wea and enb to high. Port A is always enabled. Memory_output is stuck at 0. Can someone please help me with this?

blk_mem_gen_0 U (
.clka(CLK), // input wire clka
.wea(high), // input wire [0 : 0] wea
.addra(addr), // input wire [3 : 0] addra
.dina(data_in), // input wire [15 : 0] dina
.clkb(CLK), // input wire clkb
.enb(high), // input wire enb
.addrb(addr), // input wire [3 : 0] addrb
.doutb(memory_out) // output wire [15 : 0] doutb
);

simulation results

Voyager

Re: Not getting outputs from SDP-BRAM in simulations

Your write enable (WEA) should only be high when you are trying to write to the RAM.  I'm assuming this is when your data input is changing.  You leave WEA high when you are trying to read the RAM, meaning you are writing and reading from the same cell.  Depending on how the RAM is configured, you are getting collisions and thus bad data.

Visitor

Re: Not getting outputs from SDP-BRAM in simulations

My data is available in each clock cycle as long as wea is high, so that wasn't the issue. I increased the delay before starting writes after reset, that solved it.