UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer kadirakin85
Observer

Verilog file generation for the simulation of BRAM using Vivado

Jump to solution

Hello,

I have a small problem for Vivado 2015.4. I have generated BRAM using IP Catalog of Vivado. I have selected Verilog as the target language in Project Settings. Simulator language is selected as verilog for Simulation Settings. I want to simulate BRAM using Modelsim (behavioral simulation). When I look at the sim folder (.ip_user_files\ip\myBRAM\sim), I see only vhd file. Xilinx ISE was generating verilog file too but Vivado did not generate. How can I generate verilog file of BRAM to be used in simulation in Modelsim using Vivado ?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Verilog file generation for the simulation of BRAM using Vivado

Jump to solution

Hi @kadirakin85

I understand that you are looking for verilog simulation model of BMG IP.

With Vivado 2015.3, 2015.4 we deliver only VHDL simulation model with BMG IP.

We are planning to deliver verilog simulation model for BMG IP in our next release vivado 2016.1.

Hope this info helps.

Thanks,
Deepika.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Google your question before posting. If someone's post answers your question, mark the post as answer with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (the star on the left)
0 Kudos
8 Replies

Jump to solution

Hi @kadirakin85,

To simulate using Modelsim you can use following command in Tcl console

export_simulation

The above command will generate the script for simulation in supported 3rd party simulator. So it will contain a folder for modelsim also.

Thanks,
Arpan

Thanks,
Arpan
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Observer kadirakin85
Observer

Jump to solution

Thank you very much, but I am not sure if this is what I need. Do I have to make simulation using Vivado to be able to export ? I tried export_simulation but it tries to export all the design and it asks update of many unrelated IPs. Vivado even asks to me to update microblaze although it is up-to-date and I will not simulate microblaze, so this can be question of another topic. Indeed, I am not trying to simulate all the design, I want to simulate only BRAM that I use in my design using Modelsim. If somehow I will make export_simulation function working, will it also generate me verilog file of BRAM for simulation ? 

I thought there is an easy way to ask Vivado to generate verilog file of BRAM for the simulation (this was done automatically by ISE when BRAM is generated at first time), but Vivado only generates VHD file for the simulation. 

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi @kadirakin85,

You can set "top module" in simulation as .vhd file for BRAM.

No it won't create verilog simulation file. But it will write scripts to simulate the design using modelsim.

Just out of curiousity:

Why are you looking for verilog simulation file?

Thanks,
Arpan

Thanks,
Arpan
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
0 Kudos
Observer kadirakin85
Observer

Jump to solution

Because I am good at verilog but not in vhd :) If everytime Xilinx ISE tools ask for preference of the people for verilog or vhd, the reason is answering the preference of people, am I right :) but for this case it did not ask for the preference unfortunately :)

Anyway, if there is no easy solution for this question, I will use vhd files for the simulation.. 

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @kadirakin85

I understand that you are looking for verilog simulation model of BMG IP.

With Vivado 2015.3, 2015.4 we deliver only VHDL simulation model with BMG IP.

We are planning to deliver verilog simulation model for BMG IP in our next release vivado 2016.1.

Hope this info helps.

Thanks,
Deepika.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Google your question before posting. If someone's post answers your question, mark the post as answer with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (the star on the left)
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @kadirakin85

Is your query answered?

Thanks,
Deepika.
0 Kudos
Observer kadirakin85
Observer

Jump to solution

Thanks, yes, I selected your answer as solution. So, I am waiting for 2016.1 :)

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

If you generate your core in your project in a directory of the core will be file

<name_of_your_core>_sim_netlist.v

You can use it for simulation instead of the core.

Ilya
0 Kudos