UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer sachinb_apt1
Observer

XPM FIFO wr/rd count incorrect behaviour

I am using a Syncronous XPM FIFO and shocked to see that the rd/wr data count dont change based on every read/write . I issue a rd_en for 3 cycles (with wr_en = 0), i expect to the rd_data_count to change all the 3 cycles, but it doesnt. The document however shows it should every clock cycle. Screenshot attached.

The XPM FIFOs really need a re-work Xilinx!

SAchin B

rd_wr_count_xpm_fifo.png
0 Kudos
4 Replies

Re: XPM FIFO wr/rd count incorrect behaviour

Hi @sachinb_apt1

Yes read_data_count should change for every clock cycle.

Please share complete project file or XPM FIFO instantiation to check the attributes settings and reproduce this issue at our end

BRAM.PNG

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If your organization does not allow to share design files in entirety to Public ,You can personally mail me your project or

source file (.v /.vhd) containing XPM FIFO instantiation.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply if you have any queries, give kudos and accept as solution
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Observer sachinb_apt1
Observer

Attached are parameters used for xpm fifo. I will see if i can reproduce the issue using a smaller testbench. i used the xilinx xpm fifo testbench available as downloads from userguide. But the issue isnt seen there.

fifo params.png
0 Kudos
Observer guerric.mdd
Observer

Hello,

I have same problem, using either xpm_fifo_sync or xpm_fifo_async: rd/wr data count are not correct.

I'm using Vivado2017.4 and Fifo in Std mode (not FWFT).

I'll try to post an example soon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer guerric.mdd
Observer

Here is a very simple test bench.

Basically, simulation (xsim) is not working at all in READ_MODE => "std". Empty stays high while fifo is written !

In READ_MODE => "fwft", simulation is more usable but rd/wr counters are non-sense. Write counter increment every 2 wr_en cycles.

Using logic analyser and implemented design, the "std" mode is in fact working but rd/wr counters are not working in the scenario described in the test bench.

I have no idea about how such basic bugs passed through validation before release...

Is there any Xilinx fix in sight?

Thanks.

0 Kudos