UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor ty.wadd
Visitor

XPM_MEMORY_TDPRAM Use UltraRAM Embedded Output Registers

Hello,

I use Vivado 2018.1. I'm currently instantiating UltraRAM using the macro, XPM_MEMORY_TDPRAM.  My memory has a cascade height of 4 and READ_LATENCY_A/B is 2.

I would like to use the UltraRAM's embedded output register, but according to the library guide, the UltraRAM's embedded registers aren't used unless READ_LATENCY_A/B >= cascade height.

Is there a way around this rule? I don't want my memory instantiation to use an FDRE; instead I would like it to use the embedded OREG_A/B.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: XPM_MEMORY_TDPRAM Use UltraRAM Embedded Output Registers

Hi @ty.wadd 

I found this Design and Debug blog an interesting read around Latency/Pipelining, you may also find it useful. 

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Design-and-Debug-Techniques-Blog/Achieving-optimal-timing-performance-by-automatic-pipelining-of/ba-p/971760

The optimal pipelining depends on your max frequency. With a Read_Latency of 2 you need the OREG and FD.

Sandy 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Visitor ty.wadd
Visitor

Re: XPM_MEMORY_TDPRAM Use UltraRAM Embedded Output Registers

Thanks for your reply, Sandy.

I've given it a read and it is helpful.  In my case, only an OREG is necessary.  However, the XPM_MEMORY_TDPRAM is not instantiating my UltraRAM with an OREG.  It instead opts to use only an FD; this is the issue. How can I get XPM_MEMORY to use the OREG instead of the FD?

0 Kudos