Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aeo
Visitor
Visitor

24 Pin CPLD Replacement

Jump to solution

Hi,

Im trying to update an old project that used a 24 pin dip CPLD. The CPLD that was used is no longer availible and I woulld like to replace it.

The chip requiremet: 24 pin dip, 5V Vcc and Schmitt triggers on the I/O ports would be helpfull.

I tried looking though the Xilinx CPLD families but didnt see anything like that. 

Can anyone recommend a replacement?

Regards Adelaide

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
smarell
Community Manager
Community Manager
Hi Adelaide,

The coolrunner family CPLDs are available in the market.

Please contact your local sales office (http://www.xilinx.com/company/contact/auth-disti-table.htm), as they are the right people who can guide you on choosing the replacement part.

Regards,
Krishna
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as "Accept as solution" if the information provided answers your query/resolves your issue.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
smarell
Community Manager
Community Manager
Hi Adelaide,

The coolrunner family CPLDs are available in the market.

Please contact your local sales office (http://www.xilinx.com/company/contact/auth-disti-table.htm), as they are the right people who can guide you on choosing the replacement part.

Regards,
Krishna
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as "Accept as solution" if the information provided answers your query/resolves your issue.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
aeo
Visitor
Visitor

Thank you! Will look into those.

0 Kudos
gszakacs
Instructor
Instructor

You won't find any parts in DIP packaging or with +5V power supply.  However there may be some with 5V tolerance.  If you really need a drop-in replacement you probably have to look at building a small board with voltage translators, etc.

Here's an example, although they don't go as small as 24 pins:

http://enterpoint.co.uk/products/obsolete-component-replacement/craignell-1/

-- Gabor
0 Kudos
aeo
Visitor
Visitor

Just for interest sake, why is DIP pacaging no longer used? 

I've noticed the past few days everything is moving to 3.3V and lower power supplies and almost everything is surface mount. 

I'll move away from the idea of finding a drop in replacement, just redesign with new technology chips :)

0 Kudos
gszakacs
Instructor
Instructor

There may be other reasons, but here's some big ones:

DIPs are large compared to the size of the die in them.  This increases required board area.

DIPs have very long package leads from the die to the pin.  This increases lead inductance and can causes unacceptable ground bounce in devices with fast slew rates.

DIPs are through-hole, requiring a secondary soldering process on an otherwise all-SMT board.  It also means that the device takes up valuable real estate on both board surfaces.

DIPs have a very limited maximum practical size in terms of pin count compared to newer packaging.  And the larger the pin count, the worse the above-mentioned effects.

Devices driving new technology are becoming more miniaturized.  Desktop PC motherboards no longer account for a majority of even PC-related chip sales.  Devices like smart phones and other embedded systems require ever-shrinking package technology.

-- Gabor
0 Kudos
eilert
Teacher
Teacher

Hi,

maybe these GOP modules might be useful for your application:

http://shop.trenz-electronic.de/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1_48_137&products_id=77

There are similar boards with other CPLD-Types (XC9500XL and Coolrunner XPLA3) in the shop too, or even FPGAs (Spartan3).

And for 40 pin DIL replacements there are GODIL Modules with different FPGAs available.

Have a nice synthesis

Eilert

0 Kudos
aeo
Visitor
Visitor
Thank you, that does make sence :)
0 Kudos
aeo
Visitor
Visitor

Thanks for the tip. I've never used them before, will look into it :)

0 Kudos