cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Combining VHDL/Verilog and schematic capture

I am a beginner with CPLDs and programmable logic in general, so I am starting off with designs based in schematic capture.  However, I see that Xilinx has some pre-made modules in their application notes section that can be very useful (such as a UART, SPI master, I2C master, etc.), and they provide the VHDL/Verilog code for these modules.  Using the Xilinx ISE, is there a way to save all of the VHDL/Verilog text code (top level model and all associated files), and then port it into the schematic capture as a “black box” component that I can drag, drop, and connect it with other components (like and gates, I/O pins, etc.)?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Professor
Professor

Re: Combining VHDL/Verilog and schematic capture

If you have an HDL file, let's say a Verilog module named i2c_slave.v for example.  In the

ISE GUI, select Project --> Add source (or add copy of source if you want to create a copy in

the project folder).  Browse to the verilog file and open it.  In the associations window select

"All" from the drop down list to enable use for synthesis and simulation.  Then if you

click the sources tab in the project you should see this file.  If you select it (one click)

and look below at the Processes tab, you should have an item called "Design Utilities"

and under that "Create Schematic symbol".  This will automatically create a symbol

from the Verilog source with pins for all of the module's ports.  In the Symbols tab

you will find this symbol under your project directory which should appear at the

top of the list above Arithmetic.  You can place this on the schematic like any other

symbol.

HTH,

Gabor

-- Gabor
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Re: Combining VHDL/Verilog and schematic capture

Than k you so much gszakacs!  It worked!
0 Kudos