cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

XC2C128 Clock Divider Output to Top Level Signal

Hi All,

I`m new with CPLD and try to divide an external clock by 16. The goal is to supply the divided clock output to a top level signal.(not internal) When I try to do this I can run synthesis, simulation, translation. All is OK. Except the "FIT" process will fail with the following error message:

ERROR:Cpld:1235 - An illegal connection of the clock divider has been detected.
   The divided clock output 'C_SCAN_TRIGGER_OUT_OBUF' drives
   'C_SCAN_TRIGGER_OUT'.  The divided clock output may only drive the clock
   input of registers.

My divided clock output is an internal signal "clk4out" But later I will assign clk4out to my external signal but this is not possible.Could anybody help or give an example to supply the divided clock output to a top level signal. thanks in advance:

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted

problem solved. according to XAPP378 it is generally not possible:

Notes:

1. The signal assigned to the CDRST port will automatically be mapped to the CDRST/I/O pin.

2. The output of the clock divider circuit is only available as a clock input to registers within the CPLD.

The clock divider output can not be used in combinational logic or routed off-chip for external use.

3. The clock divider is available on CoolRunner-II 128 macrocell devices and larger.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

You can run that clock to a flip flop that has dual-edge enabled. Then run that flipflop output to the pin. 

/Arthur

0 Kudos