UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

Visitor

XC95144XL will not erase

Hello all,

I am using the Xilinx Platform cable USB (version 1), with the IMPACT software.

I bought a huge batch of these XC95144XL chips for a project, and I can only get a fraction of them to work. They all recognise perfectly in IMPACT as the correct chips, but when I go to erase them the program seems to hang, and I have to unplug the USB cable to get the program to respond again. For the chips that DO erase, most of them give errors during programming, or stall again in the pre-programming erase. Out of the 100  I have tested so far I've gotten 6 to actually program to completion.

I have tried every setting I can find, and I can't get these to work. But I have another small batch that I ordered a few months ago (different supplier) and those all work on the first try. Is it that the chips could be all faulty, or is there another setting or program I can try? I have done the Overwrite Erase protection in the erase options as well, to no avail.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Mike

Xilinx Employee

Re: XC95144XL will not erase

g,

I would contact your authorized Xilinx distributor you purchased them from.

If you did not buy them from a Xilinx authorized distributor, then we cannot help you:  there are folks out there who gather scrap parts and re-sell them as good parts (clean, re-mark) -- obviously they are not good parts at all.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
Visitor

I already contacted them (AVNet Express) and they said it seems extremely unlikely that it would be an entire batch of faulty chips. That's why I am asking here to see if there is something else I can try with IMPACT or my programmer, to either prove they work or prove they don't.
Xilinx Employee

g,

Given the older batch programs, and the new one does not, that makes it pretty clear there is something wrong.

Either the programmer hardware is now different, or the devices are.

Did you say that you are able to program the older batch devices now just fine?

Have you checked the revisions, errata, product change notices?

I am not finding anything....

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
Visitor

The revisions appear to be identical. The only thing I can see is that the non-working ones have a TM symbol next to XC95144XL, and the working chips do not. And all reference pictures I can see on Google have the same TM.

But the revision numbers are the same otherwise.

Xilinx Employee

[ Edited ]

g,

TM is Trade Mark.  If TM is not there, I would question where they came from....

Sure these came through the proper channels?  Something sounds strange here.

What about the date codes?

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
Visitor

Date codes are the same on all chips, so not even a variation I can point to.

Oh well, i'll just do the refund and hope for the best. Just figured I'd see if this may have popped up before.

Thanks anyways
Xilinx Employee

Please share complete part marking snap of problematic parts

Did the board and design is same for problematic parts & good parts? 

Make sure all voltages are proper as per data sheet especially during erasing operation

Please mark this post as an "Accept as solution" in case if it helped to resolve your query. So that it will help to other forum users to directly refer to the answer.

Give kudos to this post in case if you think the information is useful and reply oriented.

Visitor

UPDATE:

I upgraded to the Xilinx Platform Cable USB 2 programmer and now the chips are working properly! Still odd that the old batch worked just fine, but at least now I know it must have been something with the JTAG programmer.

Highlighted
Scholar

@getafixx Good. I dont see any programming algo,errata or any other changes notification for 144XL.

-Pratham

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------