UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor folkus
Visitor

[idiot question] Does CPLD Xc2c64 has a nonvolatile memory?

Jump to solution

I'm new in CPLD's. I remember when i used FPGA's i had on my PCB another chip with FLASH memory to store the bitstream. At the moment i'm developing a PCB for cpld and i don't know do i need any storage memory for bistream? Do anybody know where is a pdf describing this issue?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Advisor eilert
Advisor

Re: [idiot question] Does CPLD Xc2c64 has a nonvolatile memory?

Jump to solution

Hi,

the document you are looking for is the Datasheet of that CPLD family (where XC2C64 seems to be a Coolrunner 2 device).

Xilinx CPLDs are always using some non volatile memory which programms the switching matrix. Wether it's FLASH or EEPROM technology seems not to be important here. But that information can be found in the datasheets too.

For the PCB it might be a good idea to add some pin header for the JTAG signals.

Thus you can (re)program the device in-system.

There should be some XAPP describing the circuit for CPLD JTAG programming and PCB requirements.

Just browse through the various documentation you find on the Xilinx Webpage concerning Coolrunner CPLDs.

Have a nice synthesis

Eilert

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Advisor eilert
Advisor

Jump to solution

Hi,

the document you are looking for is the Datasheet of that CPLD family (where XC2C64 seems to be a Coolrunner 2 device).

Xilinx CPLDs are always using some non volatile memory which programms the switching matrix. Wether it's FLASH or EEPROM technology seems not to be important here. But that information can be found in the datasheets too.

For the PCB it might be a good idea to add some pin header for the JTAG signals.

Thus you can (re)program the device in-system.

There should be some XAPP describing the circuit for CPLD JTAG programming and PCB requirements.

Just browse through the various documentation you find on the Xilinx Webpage concerning Coolrunner CPLDs.

Have a nice synthesis

Eilert

0 Kudos
Visitor folkus
Visitor

Jump to solution

Thx a lot.

Normally i use DocNav to check documentation, but this time it was impossible for me to find clear, simple info that CPLD has a internal memory. Finally i founded some info in doc about Powering On sequence. 

0 Kudos