UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer eugsolo
Observer

Bitstream location in the Program device window

Hi there,

after generating the bitstream and running the "program device" step, the location of the bitstream to be programmed doesn't address the newly generated bitstream, but some weird bitstream from another project.

bitstream_loc.PNG

The screenshot shows the location of the wrong bitstream.

It happens for one specific project - let's call it project XYZ.

With all other projects the location is correct - it points at the usual bitstream-location of the corresponding project (...runs/impl_1/*.bit).

How can i fix this issue (to make vivado show to the (.runs/impl_1/*.bit)-file for the project XYZ)?

Thanks in advance

7 Replies

Re: Bitstream location in the Program device window

is there any difference in the flow you are using during the correct bit and incorrect bit locating?

the snapshot you have attached is pointing to the bit file which is indirect programming logic for flash programming.

0 Kudos
Observer eugsolo
Observer

Hi @kkn,

there is no difference in the flow. In both cases i write/modify my hdl-code and then run synthesis=>implementation=>write bitstream.

However, at some point in the past (the project is pretty old) there was some testing with the flash programming with the project with the incorrect bitstream locating.

It seems to me, that the incorrect bitstream-loaction was added/written to some setting-/xml-file in the project. I made a test with this project, by copying it (the complete project-directory was copy&pasted). The "program-device" showed exactly the same incorrect bitstream-loaction.

On the other hand, the bitstream-location is set correctly with every new created project.

0 Kudos

@eugsolo,

Which vivado version you are using? Is it possible to try with the latest version of vivado.

Can you do a reset_project and see if you get different results, Basically it reset the current project to its starting condition, with source and constraint files, by cleaning out the various output files created during synthesis, simulation, implementation, and write_bitstream. Also resets the state of the project to the start of the design flow.

Thanks
Harshit
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Observer eugsolo
Observer

Hi @harshit,

thanks for your reply.

I am working with Vivado 2018.1. My OS is Windows 10 Version 1709 (Build 16299.371)

I tried the reset_project command. Unfortunatelly it didn't help. The (one specific) project is still showing the wrong btistream-path.

The wrong path is entered only when the Program Device command is run for the first time after the project is opened in Vivado. Once i manually select the correct path, Vivado keeps the correct path until the project or Vivado is closed.

Regards eugsolo

0 Kudos
Newbie hallwal

Any updates to this issue?  I have the exact same problem with some of my projects, and it is quite annoying to have to find the right bitstream file again every time the project is opened.  I am using 2018.3.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

HI,

I do use Vivado 2018.3. The bitstream I'm generating named *.rbt and located by default under "impl_*" directory. You can see it below

.../project_8_1/project_8_1.runs/impl_2/design_1_wrapper.rbt

Good luck!

0 Kudos
Newbie hallwal

The paths / locations to your project's bitstream files are typically stored in .../xxxxx.hw/hw_1/hw.xml

In that file, you will find something like:

<Properties Property="FULL_PROBES.FILE" value="xxxxx.runs/impl_1/debug_nets.ltx"/>
<Properties Property="PROBES.FILE" value="xxxxx.runs/impl_1/debug_nets.ltx"/>
<Properties Property="PROGRAM.HW_BITSTREAM" value="xxxxx.runs/impl_1/titan_traffic_gen_top.bit"/>

where xxxxx is your project name.  If one of the paths above are wrong or point to a folder or file that doesn't exist, it could cause Vivado to insert the path to the "...pullnone.bit" seen in the screen shot above.

Hope this helps someone!

0 Kudos