UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

Cypress Flash S25FL064P device ID not supported

Highlighted
Visitor

Cypress Flash S25FL064P device ID not supported

The FLASH device S25FL064P is originally from SPANSION.

Now Cypress has changed the devices IDs.

The new version of the S25FL064P seems not supported in VIVADO 2017.2.

My XC7A15T design runs with the old S25FL032P (original SPANSION) without any problems. The new Cypress FLASH don't run.

I also check my old SPARTAN6 design.

ISE supports these device if i set the XIL_IMPACT_SKIPIDCODECHECK to 1 (http://www.cypress.com/knowledge-base-article/using-cypress-s25fl-l-spi-flash-xilinx-7-series-fpgas-kba219685)

Any ideas how to use the cypress flash in VIVADO?

Xilinx Employee

Re: Cypress Flash S25FL064P device ID not supported

Hi,

Checking ug908, Table C-1 S25FL064P is supported by A-7 in Vivado 2017.2. 

How was your Vivado log saying? Did it say the device programmed was with a wrong ID? Maybe this is not the reason for failure. Please paste the log here.

Visitor

Hi,

please find attached the log (FPGA_FLASH_CFG_log.txt).
I also attached two pictures from the SPI interface.

FL032_2 shows the running FL032 device.
After changing the Flash on the board I have the problem. The SPI looks ok.

Picture FL064 shows the chip ID request and the answer.

VIVADO log shows “Mfg ID : 0   Memory Type : 0   Memory Capacity : 0   Device ID 1 : 0   Device ID 2 : 0”

I’m wondering about the VIVADO log. With the running device I see “Mfg ID : 1   Memory Type : 2   Memory Capacity : 15   Device ID 1 : 0   Device ID 2 : 0”. Manufacturer ID is OK. But the values for Type and Capacity are the values for the FLASH Device ID MSB & LSB. Device ID 1should be 2,  Device ID 2 -> 15.

Visitor

Xilinx Employee

Hi,

Check the log file you are actually using S25FL064LABFM010 right? S25FL-L series supersede S25FL-P series anyhow this new series is not added into Vivado support list; currently I see no plan to add it.

To guarantee design safety Vivado does not have the function to skip IDCODE checking. So two things you might take as the next step:
1. Change the flash to a supported one.
2. Personally verify if this flash can work with FPGA. This means you need to program it with some 3rd party off-line programmer, and see if it can correctly configure 7A. There is potential risks to damage devices if they are not compatible.

Thanks,
Zhao
Visitor

Hi Zhao,

the S25FL-P series have EOL Staus. Means, i can not use CYPRESS FLASH devicen in upcomming medical devices.

there should be plan to add the support in VIVADO:-) ISE has the option to skip IDCODE checking.

Regards,

Steffen