UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

How do I know if my JTAG can also program my FPGA?

Highlighted
Visitor

How do I know if my JTAG can also program my FPGA?

Hi everybody,

I've been given this system which has an FPGA and a JTAG connected to it. So far I haven't been able to test the JTAG, but assuming it is able to do the boundry-scan thing:

1. is it also enough to say that it can program the FPGA? Or does it require a special setting (maybe wiring)?

2. and if it is enough, shall I use this cable to do the programming? Are there cheaper alternatives?

Best,

Giovanni

Xilinx Employee

Re: How do I know if my JTAG can also program my FPGA?

Hello @giovanni.meciani,

Can you please upload the picture of your board here ?

Is it a custom board ?

what type of JTAG connector does it have on board ?

1.  jtag1.PNG   

2.     jtag2.PNG 

Which Xilinx device does it have on board ?

If you connect the board using JTAG to your system. The first thing you can do is auto_connect your device through xilinx hw manager tool or iMPACT(it depends on the device family)

If JTAG chain is initialised and boundry scan is complete it will show the board as connected.

So after uploading your birstream you can do read back and check if your device is programmed or not.

Thank you.

Visitor

Hi @giovanni.meciani

Check BSP run configuration setting before you try programming FPGA. How you have made connection, via a RS232 or Debug module in schematics?

Kindly provide the necessary information to help you better.

Regards,

Aswin

Visitor

1. Sorry, I can't upload the picture because of confidentiality reason.

2. yes, it is a custom board.

3. I can't find an image online, but it has 10 pins and it is approximately 17.4 mm x 6.5 mm.

4. Artix 7 xc7a15T_csg324 (can't tell if -1, -2, -3).

Currently I do not have a cable, so I can't check that if it works. In fact I am trying to decide which one is correct.

For what I have understood from you post, if the JTAG is recognised by Vivado, then it is enough to make it also programmable, right?

Visitor

@teenu
How to run this BSP configuration setting?
With reference to this (http://www.arcelect.com/rs232.htm) I don't see any of those ports on the board. There is a very small female 10-pin connector of size approx. 17.4 mm x 6.5 mm.
Visitor

@giovanni.meciani

In SDK, on the left side project explorer window, you could see your source file and its corresponding BSP file followed by system.mss and system.xml file.

Right click your BSP project name and select Run As configuration option. You could see standalone over there. In that menu, you have to toggle between RS232_UART and Debug_module.

Feel free to ask in case of any help.

Regards,
Aswin

Xilinx Employee

Hello @giovanni.meciani

Platform USB cable-II has 14-pin connector.

So may be it will not support.

Do you have USB support on your board ?

Please confirm the information you are sharing.

Thank you.

Visitor

@kvasantr

No there aren't any USB port available. Only this small connector. Also it is the only connector wired to the FPGA.

Voyager

Hi,

our custom FPGA board also has a 10 pin JTAG connector, seems similar to yours.

We use a Digilent programmer to access the 7 series FPGA (but there is some custom connection of the jtag signals on the FPGA end side, before this 10 pin connector; I don't know the details).

I guess the Junglo driver must also be installed so that the Digilent device can access the FPGA.

Hope this helps.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Being a non-Xilinx member, giving out "Kudos" or marking my posts as "Accept as solution" would trigger frequent and better future answers.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Xilinx Employee

Hello @giovanni.meciani,

Thank you for elaborating your situation in detail.

There is a workaround in this case. You have to design your own flying wire adapter.

Considering the JTAG schematics of your board and the platform cable pins.

There are some NC pins on platform cable that can be avoided while designing the connector

adapter.PNG.

So with ribbon wires and two female connectors its possible for you to connect the board using Platform USB cable-II to the system and you can check the JTAG working by initiating JTAG chain in iMPACT tool under ISE.

You can look in to DS593 and UG344 for more information of Platform USB cable-II pins for there nature.

Hope above explanation answers your query.

Thank you.

============================================================================================

Please mark an answer as Accepted Solution if it answers your query.

Give kudos if you think it will be useful for the community.