UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor untilyou
Visitor

ICAP readback with icap controlled by MicroBlaze

Jump to solution

hi,

i am trying to implement readback ex with icap using virtex-5 xc5vlx110t fpga.by reading the ug191 doc, there are still some questions i do  not understand. now i list them as following:

1.before readback,we need to send command sequence to registers.But the Dummy Word and Synch Word should be sent to which register?Which library function should be called to send commands to achieve this purpose?

2. Is  the readback data stored in the data register ofICAP automatically  or shoud we  specify the register address? i do not understand the details of this.

3.When the configuration data is written to ICAP, how does it load into the internal SRAM? is it automatic? or need designers  to intervene?

4.i  am a beginner, if you can send me some routine for reference, much grateful to you .

Thanks,

Jianqiu Xu

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scholar austin
Scholar

Re: ICAP readback with icap controlled by MicroBlaze

Jump to solution

j,

1.  readbak consists only of 32 bit frames on all the configuratio data: all of the configuration SRAM, and block ram contents.

2.  I do not have anything to send you, but there are examples online.

3.  XAPP864 is free.

Just Google:

xup v5 hwicap example

The universities world wide have labs and examples posted on-line (the XUP 5v110T was (is) very popular for their course work.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Scholar austin
Scholar

Jump to solution

j,

1.  If you were to use HWICAP, a lot of your problems would be solved (no need to know the details).

2.  Data is sent to ICAP in exactly the same way, same format, as select map master mode (it may also use the JTAG mode, but that is less useful).  In master mode, data is in 8, 16, or 32 bit format as described in the cionfiguration users guide.

ICAP is simply a 2:1 mux.  Instead of usings pins on the package, these "pins" now appear inside the FPGA logic.

3.  The configuration data you wish to load must come from somewhere.  There is insufficient BRAM to store a complete bitstream (as the BRAm inself is in the bitstream, a bitstream is always much larger than all of the BRAM and LUTRAM!).  The data usually is provided from some external source (data link, flash memory, disk, etc.).

4.  I would look at the soft error monitor IP (SEM IP).  It is a complete example of use of ICAP.   For Virtex 5, that would be XAPP864 (before it became supported IP).

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
Visitor untilyou
Visitor

Jump to solution

Dear Sir,

Thanks for your replay. i also have some doubts.

1.Does the readback configuration data only contain configuration data or also contain the configuration command? What is the readback data comprised of?

2.Because i use MicroBlaze to control HWICAP,which c language lib function should i use and how to write the dirver function? can you send me some examples about the details of the function?my gmail is zeneisdyy@gmail.com.  i do not know how to write to implement the readback. thanks a lot

3.Does the fourth advice you given to me mean that i should buy the SEM_IP license?

Thanks,

Jianqiu Xu

0 Kudos
Scholar austin
Scholar

Jump to solution

j,

1.  readbak consists only of 32 bit frames on all the configuratio data: all of the configuration SRAM, and block ram contents.

2.  I do not have anything to send you, but there are examples online.

3.  XAPP864 is free.

Just Google:

xup v5 hwicap example

The universities world wide have labs and examples posted on-line (the XUP 5v110T was (is) very popular for their course work.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor untilyou
Visitor

Jump to solution

Dear Sir, 

Thanks for your help. The info you given me helps me a lot.

Thanks,

Jianqiu Xu

0 Kudos