UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ISE 14.7 in windows 10

Jump to solution

Hi Xilinx,

I have a 10 years spartan-3 design and I must add new features.

In the meantime, I received a windows 10 computer.

The ise 14.7 supports only the spartan-6 under windows 10.

Xilinx marketers, please, it would be greatly appreciated if the ise 14.7 would keep on supporting all the families it had.

It is very boring to be constrained with this kind of limitations.

Hoping to be heared, many thanks in advance !

Gilbert Bombrun

R&d design manager

Using xilinx since 1991 and always satistfied

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: ISE 14.7 in windows 10

Jump to solution

Hello gilbert.bombrun@bio-logic.net 

I agree with @drjohnsmith.

Did you came across AR#62380?

This Answer record can help you Windows 7 version of ISE14.7 installation on windows 10 platform.

Regards,
Bhushan

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
6 Replies
Scholar watari
Scholar

Jump to solution

Hi gilbert.bombrun@bio-logic.net 

Would you use VM (virtual box or VMware or ...) on Windows 10 and install supported OS as guest OS on VM ?

Best regards,

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Dear,

Yes, I well know the virtual machines. But I greatly prefer to work on the native machine.

I am also using Vivado.

If win10 ise14.7 supports spartan-6, I guess it could support spartan-3 with minimal effort.

I allow myself to think that it is only a markreting decision to force Vivado and new products.

But what to do with the existing designs that customers appreciate to be improved continuously.

And I have returned my old win 7 computer.

Many thanks to take my sadness into account.

Gilbert.

0 Kudos
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

Jump to solution

Spartan 3, needs ISE , which needs windows 7 or linux.

Dont even try to go down the hole of tryign to get ISE to work on windows 10,

every update to windows 10 seems to break another of the clugs on the old ISE.

Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hello gilbert.bombrun@bio-logic.net 

I agree with @drjohnsmith.

Did you came across AR#62380?

This Answer record can help you Windows 7 version of ISE14.7 installation on windows 10 platform.

Regards,
Bhushan

Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.

Jump to solution

Hi folks,

Thank you very much for your suggestions. I will take them into account.

It's however a pity to be embarrassed moving from a windows version to another.

If you do not mind, as I design hardware and software for many years, simplest designs lead to best reliability along the years.

With best regards.

Gilbert.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi Colleagues!

I received a new laptop w/ Windows 10 some weeks ago and, as expected, the Xilinx ISE 14.7 did not worked... However, instead of use the already well known VM based solution, I tested the new WSL2 feature from Windows 10, which runs linux applications in a way that they appears running in a container. In the case of WSL2, individual applications are visible in the Windows Task Manager, which means that linux applications are visible directly to the Windows kernel, in a way that there is a better integration regarding the memory management, device management and processor management when compared to a typical VM.

In my case I installed a Suse Enterprise Server 12 for x86_64 with minimal X11 support in the WSL2 and, instead of the typical linux desktops (which are confuse and not well integrated), I installed the Xming for Windows, in a way that X11 applications running in the WSL are displayed as standard windows in the Windows 10 desktop, including the ISE 14.7 for Linux, which worked very well in the WSL2 environment. At least, appears to be a good option when compared to a slow VM inside the Windows 10! :)

Best regards,
Marcelo

0 Kudos