UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Participant sean.durkin
Participant

Multiboot and SPI 32bit-addressing mode

Jump to solution

Hi,

I'm at the moment trying to implement multiboot (no fallback) from an SPI-flash for an Artix7 device.

I can set the WBSTAR register and issue an IPROG command to trigger reloading of another bitstream, that works perfectly... UNLESS I enable the 32bit adress mode for the initial bitfile.

In that case, whenever I issue an IPROG, the FPGA always reloads from address 0 and ignores whatever address I put into WBSTAR. The FPGA logic is identical, I just use different settings for generating the bitfile (I load my post-route checkpoint and run write_bitstream twice, once with 32bit-mode enabled, once without.). So this is the exact same bitfile, it just puts the SPI configuration interface in 32bit-mode, which seems to break the WBSTAR-mechanism somehow.

Is there any difference in the mutiboot sequence from ug470 (p. 126) or in setting WBSTAR depending on what adressing mode the SPI is in?

Greetings,

Sean

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Multiboot and SPI 32bit-addressing mode

Jump to solution
Can you please post the prm file and the icap state machine code? The warm boot address should be given correctly based on the addressing mode you select.

For example, if you have stored the multiboot image at 0x01000000. Then for non 32 bit mode addressing, the value that you should write to warm boot address register is 0x80000000 (after byte-swap) and for 32-bit addressing mode is 0x00800000.

Please check this.

Regards,
Krishna
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as "Accept as solution" if the information provided answers your query/resolves your issue.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.
11 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution
Can you please post the prm file and the icap state machine code? The warm boot address should be given correctly based on the addressing mode you select.

For example, if you have stored the multiboot image at 0x01000000. Then for non 32 bit mode addressing, the value that you should write to warm boot address register is 0x80000000 (after byte-swap) and for 32-bit addressing mode is 0x00800000.

Please check this.

Regards,
Krishna
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as "Accept as solution" if the information provided answers your query/resolves your issue.

Highlighted
Participant sean.durkin
Participant

Jump to solution

Hi Krishna,

thanks for the quick response! Shifting the address fixed it. Why is this not mentioned in the documentation, or did I miss something?

I suppose this is because WBSTAR only has space for 29 address bits? The lower address byte is skipped and the configuration logic automatically adds 0x00. So I suppose all bitstreams must start at addresses that are aligned to 256-byte-boundaries?

Makes sense, but this really should be mentioned in ug470 somewhere...

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
Visitor kready
Visitor

Jump to solution
Hi, I got some problems that download multiboot files(.mcs) in ISE iMACT(P.58). The ISE iMACT(P.58) can't work when I download the multiboot file in 7% every time. I had strucked sevelal days,Can you help me ? Is somewhere that I didn't configue?
thank you !
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Thanks for posting this, I have just been struggling with exactly the same problem. I agree that this really should be detailed in the documentation.

Cheers

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution
Since this is a different issue, please open a new thread.

0 Kudos
Newbie lijiyun

Jump to solution
Hi,Krishna could you show me how to set the warm boot address for SPI 32bit-addressing mode? I don't know how do you make the map from 0x01000000(multiboot image stored in spi flash) to 0x00800000(warm boot address). I am look forward to you! best regards, lijiyun
0 Kudos
Visitor davekeeshan
Visitor

Jump to solution

Agreed, is there documentation any where on this now.  It looks like an 8 bit shift for a 32 bit aligned address, surely it should be 5 bits.  And is there a consistancy of documentation,  I see commands and byte swapped commands interleaved and it gets confusing to separate the two.

In my case I have an image located at 0x00A0_0000, what bit shift should I do for 32 bit addressing (0x0000_A000?) and what does it become when it is byte swapped (0x0000_0500?).

0 Kudos
Scholar trenz-al
Scholar

Jump to solution

its all already in xilinx documents described, just need to digg deep

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

where,I couldn't find it

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

check the following link

http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/user_guides/ug470_7Series_Config.pdf

Note-1 of table 7-2

-Krishna

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

Hello

I went into the same issue and the bit swapping and shifting 1 byte right if 32bit addressing - WORKS

thanks

Ofer

0 Kudos