UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor kehaworth
Visitor

Odd SEU scrubber behavior on satellite application

Jump to solution

I have four Artix-7 FPGAs on a satellite. I've enabled the on-chip scrubbers with "correct and continue'. I flag a multi-bit SEU, and count the single-bit SEUs. 

On one of the FPGAs, I got an uncorrectable error, and the correctable count suddenly jumped to a huge value, then kept counting. The count is clearly wrong, as there are odd values in it (the SEU scrubber counts by 2), and there is no way we actually received that many SEUs. After a day, it stopped incrementing, and stayed that way until a reload five days later, where it reset to 0. It doesn't appear to have had an effect on normal operation.

I'd believe that the scrubber itself got hit, but why did the behavior last only for a day? Any radiation/scrubber experts out there who could explain this?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Explorer
Explorer

Re: Odd SEU scrubber behavior on satellite application

Jump to solution

k,

The SEU IP was not designed for space (I specified the features and all improvements up until April, 2018.  Although space questions are not replied to in these forums (policy), as no longer a Xilinx employee, I am replying to you here.

If the SEU IP itself is hit, anything might happen, so your response does not surprise me at all.

I encourage you to koin the customers with Xilinx devices in space: Xilinx Radiation test consortium (XRTC).  Not a Xilinx entity, but Xilinx is a member.  Contact Gary Swift, gary.m.swift@ieee.org

Note that a space SEU IP core is used by XRTC members, but they developed it themselves as no 7 series device is sold by Xilinx for space, yet they are going into space regardless.

In space, MBU are more likely, so the behavior of the commercial SEU IP is likely to be ineffective...

1 Reply
Explorer
Explorer

Re: Odd SEU scrubber behavior on satellite application

Jump to solution

k,

The SEU IP was not designed for space (I specified the features and all improvements up until April, 2018.  Although space questions are not replied to in these forums (policy), as no longer a Xilinx employee, I am replying to you here.

If the SEU IP itself is hit, anything might happen, so your response does not surprise me at all.

I encourage you to koin the customers with Xilinx devices in space: Xilinx Radiation test consortium (XRTC).  Not a Xilinx entity, but Xilinx is a member.  Contact Gary Swift, gary.m.swift@ieee.org

Note that a space SEU IP core is used by XRTC members, but they developed it themselves as no 7 series device is sold by Xilinx for space, yet they are going into space regardless.

In space, MBU are more likely, so the behavior of the commercial SEU IP is likely to be ineffective...