UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Voyager
Voyager

Problem rebuilding AC701 Multiboot Design

Jump to solution

I took the XTP226 and its associated files as a starting point to develop a multiboot feature in Artix-7.

When flashing the already built files, it works fine. 

But if I run the implementation from the source files, it doesn't.... sometimes (I fiddled with a number of possibilities) the INIT led remains red (on the AC701 board), others the DONE led doesn't come on.

I have to say I'm using Vivado 2017.2 while the example design were done on 2015.1. Yes, I upgraded all the IPs.

The configuration I'm using for the golden fw is:

set_property BITSTREAM.CONFIG.CONFIGRATE 33 [current_design]
set_property CONFIG_MODE SPIx4 [current_design]
set_property BITSTREAM.CONFIG.SPI_BUS_WIDTH 4 [current_design]
set_property BITSTREAM.CONFIG.SPI_32BIT_ADDR YES [current_design]
set_property BITSTREAM.CONFIG.NEXT_CONFIG_ADDR 32'h00400000 [current_design]
set_property BITSTREAM.GENERAL.COMPRESS TRUE [current_design]
set_property BITSTREAM.CONFIG.CONFIGFALLBACK ENABLE [current_design]
set_property BITSTREAM.CONFIG.EXTMASTERCCLK_EN div-1 [current_design]
set_property BITSTREAM.CONFIG.SPI_FALL_EDGE YES [current_design]
set_property BITSTREAM.CONFIG.SPI_OPCODE 8'h6B [current_design]
set_property CFGBVS VCCO [current_design]
set_property CONFIG_VOLTAGE 3.3 [current_design]

And the same for the upgrade, except the  BITSTREAM.CONFIG.NEXT_CONFIG_ADDR  that is taken off.

I went a step back and did a simpler design with just a Verilog file dividing the clock and scrolling the Leds. Built two versions scrolling in different directions and flashed them as a 'golden' and 'upgrade' and it worked. So I'm confident the configuration for multiboot is right. 

I suppose the microblaze does something extra. I know it reads the switches and writes the HWICAP to reboot different configurations, but in any case I would expect a fallback to the golden fw.

Any pointers?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Voyager
Voyager

Re: Problem rebuilding AC701 Multiboot Design

Jump to solution

I guess something in the block design went wrong when working from scratch in Vivado 2017.2. I built it, then modified and built again, probably something got screwed up. I re-did it again without building until finished and it worked.

I got that message about "IPs are locked" but not even the 'reset_project' TCL command fixed it, and the subsequent working project also has that warning. Weird...

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Do you have a state machine in each of your multiboot designs that controls the ICAPE2 interface when a multiboot trigger is issued?  The state machine should issue the IPROG command via ICAPE2 as shown in UG470 Table 7-1:

20180907_MultiBoot_1.png

You can reference the Forum Post below for more details:

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Configuration/Exchange-mcs-file-while-running-fpga/m-p/881490#M9527

Thank you.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution
Have you tried to load the bit file first? If that works or not. Golden and update image works then we expect the mcs file to work. Are there any warnings when you upgraded the design from 2015.2 example design to 2017.2 design.

If you can share the design properties and status registers then we can check them.

Open implemented design,run the below command
report_property -all [current_design]

And status registers from Vivado HW manager.

Thanks
Harshit
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

Jump to solution

I guess something in the block design went wrong when working from scratch in Vivado 2017.2. I built it, then modified and built again, probably something got screwed up. I re-did it again without building until finished and it worked.

I got that message about "IPs are locked" but not even the 'reset_project' TCL command fixed it, and the subsequent working project also has that warning. Weird...

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution
IPs are locked because the version of IPs gets updated from one release to another. You can do a report_ip_status and then update the IPs using upgrade_ip [gets_ips]

Let us know if multiboot example is not working. I can try to update the the same.

Thanks
Harshit
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
0 Kudos