UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

Programming FPGA from 3rd party software

Highlighted

Programming FPGA from 3rd party software

I'm working on a project that includes a Windows PC and an FPGA (Kintex 7). The PC has Vivado 2015.1 installed, which we use for writing RTL and programming the FPGA. Once the FPGA is programmed using the Hardware Manager, it communicates with custom software on the PC, which I maintain.

We want a user-friendly (vs. developer friendly) way to push pre-generated bit-files to the FPGA. Is there any way to do this without opening the full Vivado IDE? Maybe there's some third-party tool, or a CLI invocation we can call against Vivado? I searched the internet and these forums, but as a newbie to the FPGA development process, it was hard to know which terms to search for, and which results to ignore. Can anyone help point me in the right direction on this?

Re: Programming FPGA from 3rd party software

Look up the Lab Tools,

It is a 'much' smaller set of programs, including Hardware Manager for programming.  It is free.

https://www.xilinx.com/support/download.html

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose