UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Newbie clim

Slave Serial Daisy Chain Virtex 5

Dear Experts,

I have a board that has two V5s in a serial daisy chain as configured in UG191 Figure 2-4. I would like to use a CPU to program both FPGAs. Initally the upstream board was put into Master Serial (M[2:0]=0) but since the CPU is the one providing the config clock, I cut the traces and according to the V5 datasheet, M[2:0] is pulled up internally putting the V5 into Slave Serial mode. I confirmed that the V5 is in Slave Serial mode by reading the configuration register over JTAG using Chipscope:

==============================================================

Bit 31:    0    
Bit 30:    0   RBCRC_ERROR
Bit 29:    0   IPROG_EVENT
Bit 28:    0   WRAP_ERROR
Bit 27:    0    
Bit 26:    0   BUS_WIDTH
Bit 25:    0   BUS_WIDTH
Bit 24:    1   FS
Bit 23:    1   FS
Bit 22:    1   FS
Bit 21:    0    
Bit 20:    0   STARTUP_STATE
Bit 19:    0   STARTUP_STATE
Bit 18:    0   STARTUP_STATE
Bit 17:    0    
Bit 16:    0   DEC_ERROR
Bit 15:    0   ID_ERROR
Bit 14:    0   DONE
Bit 13:    0   RELEASE_DONE
Bit 12:    1   INIT_B
Bit 11:    1   INIT_COMPLETE
Bit 10:    1   MODE M2
Bit  9:    1   MODE M1
Bit  8:    1   MODE M0
Bit  7:    0   GHIGH_B
Bit  6:    0   GWE
Bit  5:    0   GTS_CFG_B
Bit  4:    0   EOS
Bit  3:    1   DCI_MATCH
Bit  2:    1   DCM_LOCK
Bit  1:    0   PART_SECURED
Bit  0:    0   CRC_ERROR

==============================================================

I then generated a binary file using iMPACT. I selected the BPI Flash -> Configure Single FPGA -> V5 -> 64M -> BIN (Swap Bits Off). My CPU already swap bytes so I do not need that option when creating the binary file.

I then added my two bit files in the order of the daisy chain meaning upstream FPGA first then downstream FPGA second. I tried using the binary file generated but the configuration did not work. When FPGAs are not configured, the board current is at 1.86A, but when I attempt to program, the current does up to 1.88A; I suspect the board was partially configured.

I scoped DIN, PROG, INIT, and CCLK, and nothing looks abnormal; in fact we use the same code to program another board that only has a single V5 and that works. When I scoped DOUT, I noticed that the V5 was output a constant high and no data is passed to the downstream FPGA.

How do I get the upstream V5 to pass configuration data to the downstream V5?

Thanks!!

0 Kudos