UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Sparan 6 XC6LX9 TQG144 configure via slave serial mode

Hello all, I am newbie for FPGA and now I am trying to configure Spartan 6 XC6LX9 TQG144 device using FX3. I have following evaluation kits.

1. FX3 DVK

2. Spartan 6 SP601

But the FPGA that I'm going to configure is not the one in the evaluation kit. I tried all the examples that they have given to configure the FPGA in evaluation kit an all worked and uploaded fine. But once I build the same code changing the device in the ISE project and build it is not configuring ( I checked with Logic 8, data is correctly sending, INIT_B is correctly working but the DONE pin is not set) I have tried the same code with build to LX4 device and do the same. It was configure fine. I checked all the connections and Mode pins.

If you have the same FPGA I'm going to configure and working .BIN file. Can I have it. Then I can remove the doubt that the config file is not the problem. Thank you in advanced.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Scholar austin
Scholar

Re: Sparan 6 XC6LX9 TQG144 configure via slave serial mode

c,

The bitstream is unique to a device in the family.  A bitstream for a larger, or smaller, part will not load.  It much have been generated for that exact part number.  A bitstream cannot be generated if there are any errors.  Always check the log to see that everything has been built cleanly.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos

Hi Austin,

Thank you for your quick reply. I build the same project changing only the device. The devices that I generate the code are
Spartan 6 XC6SLX9 (144) ,Spartan 6 XC6SLX4 (144) and Spartan 6 XC6LX16 (324) . Once I upload the relevant code to SLX9 (144) FPGA it was uploaded (I mean INIT_B signaling was happen and the SPI data was transmitted) but the DONE pin doesn't went HIGH.

Is there any other requirements need to satisfy to use Slave Serial mode intead of M0 and M1 pins.

Chathuranga
0 Kudos
Scholar austin
Scholar

Does the software recognize the device through the cable?

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm going to configure the device via FX3, So it doesn't identify the device. But once the FX3 set the PROG_B pin to LOW the device drive the INIT_B pin to low. So the first detecting part is done as in the configuration manual. 

TIming diagram.PNG

The highlighted part is not coming after send the data. I observed it using a logic analyser. I think that the device set the INIT_B pin to LOW to HIGH means the device is working the way that it should be. Am I right? Is there any other thing that need to verify.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Scholar austin
Scholar

Xilinx supports Xilinx programming cables,

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos

0 Kudos

Hello all,

Still I couldn't program the FPGA SLX9 using external FX3 chip. But we manage to configure the device using J-TAG and the FX3 which is in the same PCB (SLX9 and FX3). If I got to know the reason why the external FX3 couldn't configure the device I will update here. 

Thank you for all who read this and try to help me.

0 Kudos