UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor davieleo
Visitor

Spartan 3A serial connection

Hi All,

i have been having real trouble over the last few months. I have tried and tried but am unable to do it. 

I have bought a Spartan 3A board, XC3S700A. I am trying to program it through the Serial connection. The Cable is power and data connection. I have tried intstalling all the drivers that it says about this board on various different boards. I am sure that the drivers are good as when I have the board power connected, no matter if the power switch is on or off, the Device Manager on the Laptop shows 'Programming cables -> Xilinx embedded Platform USB Firmware Loader' pops up. when the cable is removed or the powe cable is taken out of the board, it disappears.

When I try to load up a program through impact, i try to Auto connect the cable but it doesn't see it. I have tried a few different Pin settings from the data sheets and ug334 but still no luck. 

So, a few questions. the board came with the JTAG J25 and J23 shorted over with the TMS, TDI, TDO and SCK. do these have to be shorted or not. 

Is there a bigger problem seen that the USB/driver seems to be seeing the board but Auto Detect doesn't work? I downloaded the Adept 2 software and that doesn't see the board.

Would, a reinstall of ISE suite do anything to help?

Thanks,

Dave

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

Re: Spartan 3A serial connection

there are many 3a boards, which one is this, can you provide a link to the board please
Visitor davieleo
Visitor

Hi,

thanks for your response. sorry for the lateness of the reply

i have had to download Virtualbox and a virtual machine to get as ar as I could. 

i got ISE to run on windows 7 virtual and got the Jungo drivers to see the Spartan 3A on device manager on the computer.

when trying to connect the conputer to the board on iMpact it would say that cable not detected. drivers could see it on manager. 

doesn't matter what place the jumpers were on the board. tried all conbinations of cable setup, nothing worked.

these are a really good looking board and i would love to be able to use these but after months of messing around with this i am done.

i got a basys 3 and will try the vivado and see does that work.

Spartan 3A is not really new as far as i am concerned. i was in college in 2002 and was using these types of boards.

Dave

0 Kudos

Hi Dave,
Can you re-install the drivers. Follow the AR https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/44397.html

Uninstall and re-install might help.
Please try this with Windows 7. You can refer to this thread https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Spartan-Family-FPGAs/ISE-14-7-Impact-cable-not-found/td-p/658220

Thanks
Harshit
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos